Impedance of a 5kW generator (synchronous single phase)

In summary: Welcome.In summary, a synchronous machine with salient poles has an impedance that is difficult to determine. A person could estimate it by looking at the per unit values found on a website.
Jonathan Stevens
Hi everyone!

As a Belgian student electrical engineering, I am going to Peru this summer with Humasol vzw, a development organisation that works with engineering students. Our job is to build a hydro turbine next to a small river to provide a little community with electricity. Also part of our project is to design and build the grid, and do the calculations here already in Belgium. But in the calculations of the short circuit currents, to decide the protection switches, we noticed we miss some important data.

We are working with a synchronous single phase generator of 5kW with 4 salient poles but we don't know the impedance of it. So we don't know how big a short circuit current will be when a fault occurs. After half a day of searching on the web, no useful data was found.

Could somebody help us out here by giving an estimation of the impedance of such a generator? Or if you might have an idea of its copper losses?

It would really help us out!
Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Stevens

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I did a Google search on "typical data salient pole". That gave me numerous links that could provide the answer you need.

Good luck

Thanks a lot! I did indeed find the per unit values on this website: http://nl.mathworks.com/help/physmod/sps/ref/synchronousmachinesalientpolestandard.html
I did not find it earlier because I was working with an other search engine. New lesson I learned: always try several search engines! :)

Likes EverGreen1231
Jonathan Stevens said:
Thanks a lot! I did indeed find the per unit values on this website: http://nl.mathworks.com/help/physmod/sps/ref/synchronousmachinesalientpolestandard.html
I did not find it earlier because I was working with an other search engine. New lesson I learned: always try several search engines! :)

Welcome.

This is good stuff! It took me a while to figure out not all search engines return the same information. It's a good thing to know.

Good luck and take care.

1. What is impedance in relation to a 5kW generator?

Impedance refers to the total opposition to current flow in an electrical circuit. In the case of a 5kW generator, impedance is the resistance that the generator must overcome to produce a 5kW output.

2. How is impedance calculated for a 5kW generator?

Impedance can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the current in the circuit. For a 5kW generator, the voltage and current values must be known in order to calculate impedance.

3. What is the significance of impedance in a 5kW generator?

Impedance is an important factor to consider in a 5kW generator because it affects the efficiency and performance of the generator. A higher impedance means more resistance and less efficient power output.

4. How does the impedance affect the operation of a 5kW generator?

The impedance of a 5kW generator can affect its operation in several ways. A higher impedance can lead to a decrease in power output and efficiency, while a lower impedance can cause the generator to draw excess current and potentially overheat.

5. Can the impedance of a 5kW generator be adjusted?

The impedance of a 5kW generator can be adjusted by changing the design or components of the generator. However, it is not recommended to make adjustments without proper knowledge and expertise as it can affect the performance and safety of the generator.