Implementation of ALU using Verilog

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alu
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of learning Verilog and exploring different ways to write a simple code for an Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU). The person was seeking clarification on why a 16-bit output register was used instead of a 9-bit register in a specific webpage. They also mentioned their plan to modify the code for a simple ALU and requested help with fixing some errors in their code. The expert advised the person to be precise and fixative in their approach and recommended finding a Verilog syntax reference for the software being used. The conversation ended with the person agreeing to send a private message containing the requested information.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I'm trying to learn Verilog and was exploring different ways to write a simple Verilog code for Arithmetic Logic Unit, ALU. I was going through this webpage: https://esrd2014.blogspot.com/p/8-bit-arithmetic-and-logic-unit.html

I'm just curious to know that why they are using 16 bit output register' please see the capture below taken from the mentioned webpage. They could have simply used 9 bit register instead. Is the reason being that the registers come in standard sizes such 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit, etc.?

Actually, I'm planning to modify the given code to come up with a simple ALU code but I thought to confirm about the 16-bit output register first. Thanks for the help, in advance!

1647939351390.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
PainterGuy said:
I'm just curious to know that why they are using 16 bit output register'
Because an 8x8 bit multiply doubles the number of bits, to 16 in the result.

Likes PainterGuy
Baluncore said:
Because an 8x8 bit multiply doubles the number of bits, to 16 in the result.

Sorry, I missed to see that it was also doing multiplication. I think the reason being that the ALU I was thinking of was a simple addition and subtraction one. I'll attempt the code tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Hi again,

I tried to write simple code for an ALU. I'm sure there would be different ways to do it but I chose which made sense to me.

I'm sure there would be many errors but the ones I'm presently encountering are highlighted below; lines 31 and 32.

Sorry about the bad indentation.

Could you please help me to fix it? Thank you, in advance!
C:
module ALU(
           ALU_Out,
           A,B,ALU_Sel             
    );

parameter N = 4;

input wire [N-1:0] A,B;
    input wire [1:0] ALU_Sel;
    output reg [N-1:0] ALU_Out;

parameter [1:0] ADD     = 2'b00,
                    SUB     = 2'b01,
                    B_AND    = 2'b10,
                    B_OR    = 2'b11;

reg overflow_flag, sign_flag, zero_flag;

always @(ALU_Sel or A or B)
        begin

case(ALU_Sel)
            ADD:
               ALU_Out = A + B ;

SUB:
                  begin
                  assign B = ~B + 1 ; // 2's complement
                  ALU_Out = A + B;
                  end

B_AND:
               ALU_Out = A & B;

B_OR:
               ALU_Out = A | B;

default: ALU_Out = A + B ;
        endcase

assign c_in = {1'b0,A[N-2]} + {1'b0,B[N-2]};
    assign c_out = {1'b0,A[N-1]} + {1'b0,B[N-1]};

if (c_in==c_out)
        overflow_flag = 0;
    else
        overflow_flag = 1;

if (ALU_Out[N-1] == 1)
        sign_flag = 1;
    else
        sign_flag = 0;

if (ALU_out == 0)
         zero_flag = 1;
    else
         zero_flag = 0;

end

endmodule

It will be necessary to analyse every line to check exactly what it does.
Do you have a link to the appropriate Verilog syntax reference ?

Baluncore said:
Do you have a link to the appropriate Verilog syntax reference ?

I'm learning it using different webpages and YouTube videos.

Could you please help me with fixing the Verilog syntax?

PainterGuy said:
Could you please help me with fixing the Verilog syntax?
Verilog is not like creative writing. It must be precise and correct.
You need to engineer an exact and correct solution.
To succeed you need to be fixative and obsessive.
Any attempt to bounce of the error messages will end with unreliable garbage.
I would start with the syntax documentation for the software being used.
Without the syntax definition, all is lost.

Computer Arithmetic and Verilog HDL Fundamentals -2010- Joseph Cavanagh

Complement ...
In C; ~X
In Verilog 'X

Last edited:
Likes PainterGuy
Baluncore said:
Computer Arithmetic and Verilog HDL Fundamentals -2010- Joseph Cavanagh

Complement ...
In C; ~X
In Verilog 'X

Thank you for the recommendation.

I'm sorry but I don't think what I did to find 2's complement was wrong. I'm inverting the bits of B and then adding 1 to get 2's complement. Could you please give it look?

B = ~B + 1'b1 ; // 2's complement

PainterGuy said:
Could you please give it look?
Not without the syntax reference for the system you are using.

Baluncore said:
Not without the syntax reference for the system you are using.
I'm sorry but I'm not following you. I'm trying to use Verilog. You want me to send you a reference which shows how Verilog syntax works? Thanks!

PainterGuy said:
I'm sorry but I'm not following you. I'm trying to use Verilog. You want me to send you a reference which shows how Verilog syntax works? Thanks!
No, I want you to find a reference and give me a link.

It is 30 years since I have needed to use VHDL in anger. If you want me to get back into that mindset, then I will need a language reference compatible with the software you are using that produces the error messages. What is that software ?

Baluncore said:
No, I want you to find a reference and give me a link.

It is 30 years since I have needed to use VHDL in anger. If you want me to get back into that mindset, then I will need a language reference compatible with the software you are using that produces the error messages. What is that software ?

I'm sorry that I didn't reply to you earlier. Sure, I'll do it. If you don't mind, I will be sending you a PM. Thank you!

1. What is an ALU?

An ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) is a digital circuit component used in computers to perform arithmetic and logical operations on binary data. It is an essential part of the central processing unit (CPU) and is responsible for performing calculations and making decisions based on those calculations.

2. How is an ALU implemented using Verilog?

An ALU can be implemented using Verilog, a hardware description language (HDL) used to design digital circuits. This involves writing Verilog code to describe the logic and functionality of the ALU, including its inputs, outputs, and internal operations.

3. What are the key components of an ALU?

An ALU typically consists of three main components: an arithmetic unit, a logic unit, and a control unit. The arithmetic unit performs basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. The logic unit handles logical operations such as AND, OR, and NOT. The control unit coordinates the operations of the arithmetic and logic units based on the instructions from the CPU.

4. What are the advantages of implementing an ALU using Verilog?

Implementing an ALU using Verilog allows for a more efficient and flexible design process. Verilog is a high-level language, which means it is easier to write and understand code compared to traditional low-level hardware design languages. This can result in faster development and easier debugging of the ALU design.

5. Are there any challenges in implementing an ALU using Verilog?

One of the main challenges in implementing an ALU using Verilog is ensuring the design is optimized for performance and meets the required specifications. Verilog allows for a lot of flexibility in design, but this can also make it more complex and difficult to debug. It is important to carefully plan and test the design to ensure it functions correctly and efficiently.