Implementing a flanger in MATLAB

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter CE Trainee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a flanger effect in MATLAB and the difficulties the speaker has faced in recreating the effect. They mention the use of a delay in producing the effect and ask for advice and resources on working with audio in MATLAB. The speaker also notes that they will post their code later if they can find it.
CE Trainee
Hello everyone,

I've been experimenting in MATLAB, attempting to create a flanger type effect. I would assume that the flanger is already included in a toolbox but I would like to create one on my own for personal satisfaction. I've been reading up on flanger operation but I've had trouble recreating the effect. I know that the flanger takes the input signal and adds a delayed version of the same signal producing the output. The delay varies, creating the effect.

I'm still pretty new to MATLAB and I finally was able to get my computer to produce a tone based on a sinusoid. My flanger still doesn't work though. I created two variables to hold the input signal and the delayed input signal. I added these two signals together and stored them in another variable. When I played the new signal, It just sounded like the original input signal with no audible differences. I realize that I delayed the second signal by a fixed but not varying amount. I still thought I would get some sort of echo effect. Here is a link that discusses the flanger for those not familiar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanging"

Can anyone offer any insight, advice or tips? Also, any links to info/tutorials on working with audio inside MATLAB would be appreciated.

Also, atm I can't seem to find my code that I had used. I will post later if I can find it.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It won't sound like a flanger until the first few cacellation notches come down around 500 hz or so which means a couple milliseconds or more of delay between the signals.

1. What is a flanger and why is it important in MATLAB?

A flanger is an audio effect that creates a sweeping, "whooshing" sound by slightly shifting the pitch of a signal and mixing it with the original signal. It is important in MATLAB because it allows for the manipulation and enhancement of audio signals, which is useful for various applications such as music production and speech processing.

2. How do I implement a flanger in MATLAB?

To implement a flanger in MATLAB, you can use the "flanger" function from the Audio System Toolbox. This function accepts parameters such as delay time, depth, and feedback amount, and applies the flanger effect to the audio signal. It is also possible to create a custom flanger effect using basic signal processing techniques and functions in MATLAB.

3. Can I adjust the parameters of the flanger effect in real-time?

Yes, you can adjust the parameters of the flanger effect in real-time using the "flanger" function. This allows for live manipulation of the flanger effect on an audio signal, which can be useful for performances or interactive applications.

4. Are there any limitations to implementing a flanger in MATLAB?

One limitation to implementing a flanger in MATLAB is that it may not be suitable for real-time applications that require low latency, as the processing time for the "flanger" function may introduce a delay in the audio signal. Additionally, the quality of the flanger effect may be limited by the sampling rate and bit depth of the audio signal.

5. Are there any resources or tutorials available for implementing a flanger in MATLAB?

Yes, there are many resources and tutorials available online for implementing a flanger in MATLAB. These include official documentation and examples from MathWorks, as well as tutorials and code samples from independent users and developers. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of digital signal processing concepts and techniques when implementing a flanger in MATLAB.