Implicit Differentiation (for a normal derivative) with Multivariable Functions

In summary, the given equations are z^3x+z-2y-1=0 and xz+y-x^2+5=0. The problem asks to find the derivative of z with respect to x, given that y is a function of both x and z. By differentiating the first equation with respect to x and taking into account the derivative of y, the derivative of z is found to be -1-z^3/3z^2x. Similarly, differentiating the second equation and taking into account the derivative of y yields a different expression for the derivative of z, namely 2x-z/x. It is necessary to consider the derivative of y in both equations in order to solve for
paul2211

Homework Statement

z[itex]^{3}[/itex]x+z-2y-1=0
xz+y-x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+5=0

Define z as a function of x, find z'.

Homework Equations

I guess the two equations above...

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I just differentiated the first one with respect to x and got:

3z[itex]^{2}[/itex]xz'+z[itex]^{3}[/itex]3+1=0
z' = [itex]\frac{-1-z^{3}{3z[itex]^{2}[/itex]x}[/itex]

If I differentiate the second equation, I get something completely different...

z+xz'-2x=0
z' = [itex]\frac{2x-z}{x}[/itex]

I'm sorry if I typed some of my work above wrong, but the main reason I'm stuck on this question is: I don't even see why I need the two equations to solve this problem

Thanks in advance to you guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, paul2211! :smile:

Your variable y is a function of x and z.
As such you need to consider it as well when differentiating.

Note that in this case you can use your second equation to eliminate y altogether.

Btw, you appear to have made at least one type when differentiating the first equation.

Thank you for your quick reply Serena.

So does this mean y = y(x, z(x))?

If so, and I somehow couldn't cancel the y between the two equations, wouldn't I have [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}[/itex], [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex] to solve for?

Since I would only have two equations, does this mean I can't solve for [itex]\frac{dz}{dx}[/itex] if I didn't have the insight to cancel out the other variable? (y in this case).

Yes and yes.

If you didn't cancel y beforehand, y will probably cancel itself as long as you apply the proper derivative rules.
It's just less work to cancel y beforehand.

Related to Implicit Differentiation (for a normal derivative) with Multivariable Functions

1. What is implicit differentiation for multivariable functions?

Implicit differentiation is a method for finding the derivatives of functions that are not explicitly written in terms of one variable. It involves treating one variable as dependent on the other variables and using the chain rule to find the derivative.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from regular differentiation?

Regular differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is explicitly written in terms of one variable. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, is used for finding the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of one variable.

3. When should implicit differentiation be used?

Implicit differentiation should be used when the independent variable cannot be easily isolated in the function. This often happens with multivariable functions, where one variable depends on the others.

4. What is the process for implicit differentiation?

The process for implicit differentiation involves treating one variable as dependent on the other variables, differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable, and then solving for the derivative. The chain rule is used to differentiate the dependent variable.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit differentiation include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not properly isolating the dependent variable, and not simplifying the final expression. It is also important to carefully keep track of which variable is being differentiated with respect to.