Importance of the Present vs the Future

• Thread starter DarkFalz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of how the human mind copes with making choices that may sacrifice present time or resources for a better future. The question is raised about what leads us to act in this way and whether there is a better approach. There is also a discussion about the uncertainty of planning for the future and the idea that different people may have different ways of making decisions. Ultimately, the debate ends with the realization that there is no one right answer and it depends on the individual.
DarkFalz
Hello,

i would like to share some thoughts about this question i have been thinking about. Everyday we make choices that affect the future, sometimes we even choose to compromisse some of the present time or resources just to build something better in the future.

Sometimes i try to reverse engineer the human mind, and my point in here is, how does the human mind cope with these choices? There are several situation when we opt to, for instance, do a long car travel just to save some Money on buying something because it is cheaper on some farther away place. In this situation we may have a really boring time during the car travel, and the benefit only comes later. On the other hand, if we had bought the thing we wanted at a nearer place, we wouldn't have such a boring moment even though we may end up wasting more Money. What exists in our mind that makes the first situation better than the second one? The future only come after the present, so we will be some time away from benefitting from any possible future positive result.

Another even deeper thought i had about this, pertains to our thinking. Sometimes we could just act, without thinking, like just picking the first course of action. Nevertheless, when someone tells us "hey, let's us buy some drinks at that pub over there", our mind automatically starts thinking about some way to buy cheaper drinks, or at a nearest place. While we are thinking we are not "having fun", we could reach a pleasurable situation earlier by simply picking the first course of action, nonetheless we think about ways to reacher an even better state at the future, even if it will cost us time that we won't be having fun and will delay our pleasure.

What leads the human mind to act in the way it does on these situations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I like don't planning for the future, the future is far too unpredictable and uncertain to plan for.

DarkFalz said:
What leads the human mind to act in the way it does on these situations?
Indecision. It's different for everyone, some people are decisive and make their minds up right away. Is there some point to this, because I don't see one.

Evo said:
Indecision. It's different for everyone, some people are decisive and make their minds up right away. Is there some point to this, because I don't see one.

Is there one that can be considered better than the other? One of them has hapiness right away, the other one has 2x happiness after some period of time.

DarkFalz said:
Is there one that can be considered better than the other?
No, depends on the person.

1. What is the importance of the present vs the future?

The present and the future are both important, but in different ways. The present is the only time we have control over, and the choices we make in the present can greatly impact our future. It's important to live in the present and make the most of each moment, as it can lead to a fulfilling future.

2. Why is it important to balance the present and the future?

It's important to find a balance between the present and the future. While it's important to live in the present and enjoy each moment, it's also important to plan for the future and make decisions that will benefit us in the long run. A good balance can lead to a happy and successful life.

3. How does focusing on the present affect our future?

Focusing too much on the present without considering the future can lead to short-term satisfaction, but it may not be sustainable in the long run. It's important to make decisions that will benefit our future selves, such as saving money, investing in education, and maintaining healthy habits.

4. What are the consequences of neglecting the present for the future?

Neglecting the present for the future can lead to missing out on important experiences and opportunities. It can also cause feelings of regret and dissatisfaction in the future. It's important to find a balance and not solely focus on the future at the expense of the present.

5. How can we find a balance between living in the present and planning for the future?

One way to find a balance is to set short-term and long-term goals. This allows us to focus on the present while also working towards a desired future. It's also important to practice mindfulness and live in the moment, while also making responsible decisions for our future selves.