What Are the Key Unresolved Issues in the Two-Higgs-Doublet Model?

• A
  • Thread starter TarasZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Important
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in studying the two-Higgs-doublet model (2HDM) and their advisor's support for this topic. They have read several articles on the 2HDM but are unsure of which specific processes to focus on. The advisor will try to connect with experts on the 2HDM while visiting a laboratory, but they may need to invest more time in researching existing material before starting their own research. The speaker's aim is to derive the differential distributions or cross-sections of processes predicted by the 2HDM and compare them to measurements from the LHC. They have primarily studied a Standard Model (SM) extension before turning to the 2HDM, which is now a
TarasZ
Hi! My question is for people familiar with the two-Higgs-doublet model (2HDM). What phenomenological or theoretical problems of this model are important to work on?

I am a postgraduate student. I have studied the Higgs sector of the Standard Model (SM) and the Higgs sectors of some of its extensions for some time. As I know, the 2HDM is now the most studied extension of the SM. I have read a few articles on the 2HDM, but have not been able to find out what particluar processes predicted by the 2HDM I should study.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does your advisor say?

At the beginning of my postgraduate course my advisor suggested studying the Higgs sectors of some of the SM extensions. I agreed, and now I have two articles on these topics. Then I found out that the 2HDM was much more popular than the extensions I had studied. I talked to my advisor and suggested we study the 2HDM. He agreed. However, he had never studied this model -- that is why it's up to me to choose what particular problem I will study in the 2HDM.

Now my advisor is visiting the LAL laboratory in Orsay, and he will try to talk with some experts on the 2HDM there, however, he is not sure he will do that)

Again what's your aim (not necessary to say exactly what you're doing just the general idea of it)?
What articles did you end up with? What's more popular than the extensions you studied (=what additional information is already there that wasn't in the articles)? Nevertheless, for working on something new from the scratch (neither you nor your advisor have any deep background on the topic), two articles are not enough to give you the necessary foundations from which on you'll start building your own research.. I guess you'll have to invest a couple of months working on existing stuff...

I am going to derive the differential distributions or the differential cross-sections of some particular processes predicted by the 2HDM, and then to compare the calculated distributions or cross-sections to those measured at the LHC. I have read the following articles on the 2HDM: arxiv.org/abs/1106.0034v3, arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9701257v1, arxiv.org/abs/1607.02402v2, etc.

Before I decided to study the 2HDM, I worked chiefly on the SM extension allowing for any possible CP properties of a spin-zero neutral Higgs boson. However, this extension has been studied for decades, and thus it's difficult to do principally new research in this extension. Predicitons of the 2HDM are now actively tested at the LHC, and it makes the model popular.

1. What is the 2HDM and why is it important?

The 2HDM (Two Higgs Doublet Model) is an extension of the Standard Model of particle physics that introduces an additional Higgs doublet. This model is important because it can potentially explain the origin of mass and the existence of dark matter, as well as provide a deeper understanding of the Higgs boson.

2. What are the current unsolved problems in the 2HDM?

Some of the key unsolved problems in the 2HDM include the hierarchy problem (i.e. why the Higgs mass is so much lighter than the Planck scale), the flavor problem (i.e. why there is a large difference in mass between different types of particles), and the CP-violation problem (i.e. why there is a matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe).

3. How are scientists studying and attempting to solve these problems?

Scientists are using a combination of theoretical calculations, computer simulations, and experimental data from particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider to study and attempt to solve these problems. They are also exploring potential solutions through different versions of the 2HDM and testing them against observational data.

4. What are some potential implications of solving these problems in the 2HDM?

If these problems in the 2HDM are successfully solved, it could lead to a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It could also potentially open up new avenues for technological advancements, such as improved energy production and storage.

5. Are there any recent breakthroughs or progress in solving these problems?

There have been several recent developments in the study of the 2HDM, such as the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 and the observation of CP-violation in the decay of B-mesons. However, these problems are still considered unsolved and ongoing research and experimentation is needed to make further progress.