Imposing high frequency on AC mains

In summary, Shakey is working on a project where he has to superimpose a high frequency component on AC mains voltage. He is looking for help on how to do this. There are regulations governing the "conducted emissions" on powerlines in different countries, so Fuxue and Berkeman recommend looking into whether this is possible in your location and what components will be needed.
shaik.as22
Hi All,
Currently Iam working on a project where I have to superimpose High frequency component on AC mains 240V 60HZ. ( Its imposing Ripples in mains voltage... as happens when voltage is generated from a Petrol generator). Need some help how would i do this ?

Thanks in advance.
Shakey...

Engineering news on Phys.org
By the formula, it is two voltages in series, for example,

50V + 5V * sin (2*pi*60*time)

This will be a DC 50V plus an AC ripple with 60HZ 5V peak.

50V * sin (2*pi*60*time) + 5V * sin (2 *pi* 600000*time)

This will be a 50V peak 60HZ AC plus an AC ripple with 5V peak at 600kHz.

shaik.as22 said:
Hi All,
Currently Iam working on a project where I have to superimpose High frequency component on AC mains 240V 60HZ. ( Its imposing Ripples in mains voltage... as happens when voltage is generated from a Petrol generator). Need some help how would i do this ?

Thanks in advance.
Shakey...

Look at the X10 remote control system that has been around (in the U.S.) for 30 years. It uses a high frequency (100's of kilohertz) to remotely control appliances over the AC mains. I was even able to remotely turn on and off a lamp in my neighbor's house using a plug-in lamp control unit. There are now other brands on the market. See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1675067,00.asp

shaik.as22 said:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
Shakey...

For most countries, there are regulations for what frequencies and what amplitudes you can couple into the powerlines. What country are you in? In the US and in the EU, there are strict regulations governing the "conducted emissions" on powerlines.

Thanks for your replies Fuxue and Berkeman...
Fuxue, I understand theroy behind it but i want to implement it practically. So What are the components i should be looking for, like signal generator/frequency mixer... etc..

Berkeman I am from United Kingdom

please suggest me what are the components i will be requiring. if possible block diagram of connection made..

Please see the attachment... how can I achieve pratically what are the components/devices required

Attachments

• 02109.png
    02109.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 536

What is imposing high frequency on AC mains?

Imposing high frequency on AC mains refers to the process of modifying the frequency of the alternating current (AC) power supply to a higher value than the standard 50 or 60 Hz, typically in the kilohertz (kHz) range. This can be achieved through the use of power electronic devices, such as inverters or converters.

Why would someone want to impose high frequency on AC mains?

There are several reasons why someone may want to impose high frequency on AC mains. One reason is for power transmission over long distances, as higher frequencies allow for lower transmission losses. Another reason is for the operation of certain electronic devices, such as LED lights or computer power supplies, which can operate more efficiently at higher frequencies.

What are the potential benefits of imposing high frequency on AC mains?

The main benefit of imposing high frequency on AC mains is increased efficiency. By operating at higher frequencies, power electronic devices can be smaller, lighter, and more efficient, leading to energy savings and reduced costs. Additionally, high frequency power transmission can reduce the need for large and expensive power lines, making it a more feasible option for remote or hard-to-reach areas.

What are the potential drawbacks of imposing high frequency on AC mains?

One potential drawback of imposing high frequency on AC mains is increased electromagnetic interference (EMI). The higher frequency signals can interfere with other electronic devices and cause malfunctions or disruptions. Moreover, the use of power electronic devices can introduce harmonics into the power system, which can also cause issues with other devices. Proper filtering and shielding techniques must be implemented to mitigate these effects.

What are some examples of applications that utilize high frequency on AC mains?

Some common applications that utilize high frequency on AC mains include LED lights, computer power supplies, solar inverters, and electric vehicle charging stations. These devices can operate more efficiently and compactly by using high frequency power, and are becoming increasingly popular as the technology continues to advance.