Impossible Question in CIE Physics Exam: Is It Really Unsolvable?

• Thread starter skyglow1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the conversation revolved around a seemingly impossible question in the external physics exam for the students in the year below the speaker's level. The question involved calculating the current in a lamp using a given voltage and resistance, but the wording made it unclear whether a numerical answer or an expression involving the resistance was expected. Despite this confusion, the speaker and another individual discussed potential ways to approach the question and expressed interest in seeing the markscheme and examiner's report for further clarification.
skyglow1
Hi, the students that are the year below my year level sat their external physics exam recently. Only problem was, there seems to be an impossible question in the paper:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/skyglow1/impossibleq.jpg

This is a scan from the paper. It seems like there's no way you can do part (c) of the question. This is from CIE examinations so I find it very hard to believe they could have made such a massive mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can always say something like:

Current in lamp Y = 12V/ R_Y or so, no ?

It doesn't mean that you cannot do the last exercise.

vanesch said:
Well, you can always say something like:

Current in lamp Y = 12V/ R_Y or so, no ?

It doesn't mean that you cannot do the last exercise.

That was what I was thinking too, but it says calculate so I'm inclined to think its a numerical answer instead of interms of R_Y. And at this level you wouldn't be expected to say something like "Let R_Y be the resistance of lamp Y, then I = 12/R_Y".

I agree. I didn't realize you meant this was a real exam today - I was about to look up the markscheme online. it will be interesting to see what it (and the examiners report) contains, when it eventually appears.

Related to Impossible Question in CIE Physics Exam: Is It Really Unsolvable?

1. Is the "Impossible Question in CIE Physics Exam" actually impossible to solve?

The question itself may seem impossible to solve, but it is designed to test your critical thinking skills and ability to apply concepts in a creative way. With careful analysis and utilization of your knowledge, the question can be solved.

2. Why is the "Impossible Question" included in the CIE Physics Exam?

The "Impossible Question" is included in the exam to assess your problem-solving skills and to challenge you to think outside the box. It also helps to differentiate between students who simply have memorized information and those who can apply their knowledge in a practical and unconventional manner.

3. How can I prepare for the "Impossible Question" in the CIE Physics Exam?

The best way to prepare for the "Impossible Question" is to practice solving complex and unconventional problems. This will help you develop your critical thinking skills and approach problems from different angles. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts in physics.

4. Are there any tips for approaching the "Impossible Question" in the CIE Physics Exam?

One approach to solving the "Impossible Question" is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try to think of real-life examples or analogies that may help you understand the question better. It is also important to carefully read and analyze the question, as there may be hidden clues or information that can guide you towards the solution.

5. What if I cannot solve the "Impossible Question" in the CIE Physics Exam?

It is completely normal to struggle with the "Impossible Question" in the exam. If you are unable to solve it, do not panic or give up. Instead, try your best and show your thought process and reasoning in your answer. You may still receive partial credit for your effort and approach, and it can also help the examiner understand your thinking process.