Help with interference question AH physics? exam tomorrow :(

In summary, the conversation is about a question from the 2009 past paper AH physics. The person is asking for help understanding the question and their own answer, and also includes the answer provided by the SQA. The person asking for help has made some mistakes in their answer and the other person advises them to take their time and mentions that they both seem to know the value of λ. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their reply and clarifying the value of λ to be 580nm.
ah4p
Could someone please explain this question to me I'll include what I thought the answer was and the actual SQA answers.

Please can you read my answer just to see what I'm doing wrong and what I don't understand

It's from the 2009 past paper AH physics

Thanks so much I really appreciate any help
smile.png
exam tomorrow ;(
1. Homework Statement

attachment.jpg

Homework Equations

these are gien below in my attampt and in the SQA marking scheme included below

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.jpg
this is the answer given by sqa

attachment.jpg
thanks very very very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Your 2 n t looks more like 4 n t and what you write down doesn't correspond to what you calculate.

Furthermore, you and sqa both seem to know ##\lambda##. We don't.

So: work a little less hasty, and you'll be just fine. Good luck tomorrow !

Likes ah4p
BvU said:
Your 2 n t looks more like 4 n t and what you write down doesn't correspond to what you calculate.

Furthermore, you and sqa both seem to know ##\lambda##. We don't.

So: work a little less hasty, and you'll be just fine. Good luck tomorrow !
sorry λ is 580nm

thanks so much for ur reply

1. What is interference in the context of physics?

Interference in physics refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves interact with each other and combine to produce a resultant wave. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

2. How do interference patterns form?

Interference patterns form when two or more waves with the same frequency overlap and interact with each other. The resulting pattern is determined by the phase difference between the waves and can be seen in various phenomena such as light passing through a double slit or sound waves from two speakers.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude combine to produce a wave with a larger amplitude. This results in a stronger and more intense wave. On the other hand, destructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and opposite amplitudes combine to produce a wave with a smaller or zero amplitude, resulting in cancellation of the waves.

4. How is the path difference related to interference?

The path difference is the difference in distance traveled by two waves from their sources to a specific point. It is an important factor in determining the phase difference between the waves and ultimately affects the interference pattern. A larger path difference results in a larger phase difference and can lead to either constructive or destructive interference.

5. How can we use interference to study the properties of waves?

Interference is a useful tool in studying the properties of waves such as frequency, amplitude, and wavelength. By analyzing the interference pattern, we can determine the phase difference between waves and use this information to calculate these properties. Interference can also help us understand the behavior of waves in different mediums and their interactions with each other.