Improper Integral with Infinity in Limits

In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation where the integrand is an odd function, but is lost when trying to do the substitution. However, if the integrand is an odd function, then the integral from -\infty to \infty will be zero.
johnhuntsman

∫xe^[-x^2] dx
-∞

So basically I've solved for everything in this problem and it looks like it should be an indeterminate form and thus divergent. My book and Wolfram both say it's 0 and convergent though.

I get it down into:
lim [[e^(-t^2)] - e^0]/2 + lim [e^0 - [e^(-v^2)]]/2
t->-∞__________________v->∞

When I plug stuff in I get:

[e^∞ - e^∞ - e^0 + e^0]/2

I can see why it might be 0 from the stuff above, but e^∞ - e^∞ should be indeterminate rather than 0. Can someone please explain what I'm not getting?Wolfram:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...=DefiniteIntegralCalculator.rangeend_infinity

Physics news on Phys.org
The integrand is an odd function, so if you can show that [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} x e^{-x^2} dx[/itex] is finite, then the integral from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] will be zero. Seems like a simple substitution will do the trick.

jbunniii said:
The integrand is an odd function, so if you can show that [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty} x e^{-x^2} dx[/itex] is finite, then the integral from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] will be zero. Seems like a simple substitution will do the trick.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying.

Last edited:
Well you know that sin(x) is an odd function right? An odd function means that f(-x)=-f(x) and the function just flips over when it crosses the origin like sin(x) does. So that if f(-x)=-f(x) then surely:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} f(x)dx=0[/tex]

if f(x) is odd. Same diff for any symmetric interval like -2 to 2, -100 to 100 even -infty to infty.

So what about the function [itex]x e^{-x^2}[/itex]? Is that one f(-x)=-f(x)? Then it would be an odd function then so that:

[tex]\int_{-a}^{a} f(x)dx=0[/tex]

And would be likewise zero if a were infinity and the integral is finite in the interval

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} f(x)dx[/tex]

And I think you can compute:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}x e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

right?

You are trying to evaluate "[itex]e^{\infty}[/itex]" when you should be looking at "[itex]e^{-\infty}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
jackmell said:
Well you know that sin(x) is an odd function right? An odd function means that f(-x)=-f(x) and the function just flips over when it crosses the origin like sin(x) does. So that if f(-x)=-f(x) then surely:

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} f(x)dx=0[/tex]

if f(x) is odd. Same diff for any symmetric interval like -2 to 2, -100 to 100 even -infty to infty.

So what about the function [itex]x e^{-x^2}[/itex]? Is that one f(-x)=-f(x)? Then it would be an odd function then so that:

[tex]\int_{-a}^{a} f(x)dx=0[/tex]

And would be likewise zero if a were infinity and the integral is finite in the interval

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} f(x)dx[/tex]

And I think you can compute:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}x e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

right?

I see what you're talking about. Thanks. I messed up on my math anyway : D

What is an improper integral with infinity in limits?

An improper integral with infinity in limits is a type of integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinity. This means that the range of integration extends to infinity, rather than being a finite range.

Why do we use improper integrals with infinity in limits?

Improper integrals with infinity in limits are used to evaluate integrals where the function being integrated is not defined at one or both of the limits of integration. It allows us to find the area under the curve even when the curve extends to infinity.

How do we evaluate improper integrals with infinity in limits?

To evaluate an improper integral with infinity in limits, we use a limit process. We first integrate the function from a finite lower limit to a variable upper limit, and then take the limit as the upper limit approaches infinity.

What are some common functions that require the use of improper integrals with infinity in limits?

Functions that have asymptotes, such as rational functions, often require the use of improper integrals with infinity in limits. Other common functions include exponential and logarithmic functions, as well as trigonometric functions.

What are the different types of improper integrals with infinity in limits?

There are two types of improper integrals with infinity in limits: Type I and Type II. Type I improper integrals have one or both limits of integration being infinity, while Type II improper integrals have a function that is unbounded at one or both of the limits of integration.