Impulse and Average Force. Ball by the Wall.

In summary, a 0.25kg ball initially moving with a velocity of (8.0m/s, 8.0m/s) rebounds from a wall and has a final velocity of (-5.0m/s, 6.0m/s). To find the impulse exerted on the ball by the wall, the change in momentum is calculated for both the x and y components and then added together. The average force exerted on the ball by the wall is found by dividing the change in momentum by the time of impact
MeghanBland

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m= .25kg is moving with an initial velocity of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]=(8.0[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+8.0[itex]\hat{y}[/itex])(m/s). It rebounds from a wall and has a final velocity (after impact) of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]= (-5.0[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+6.0[itex]\hat{y}[/itex])(m/s)
a.) Determine the impulse exerted on the ball by the wall.
b.) Calculate the average force exerted on the ball by the wall.
c.) Is the momentum conserved in this collision? Explain.

Homework Equations

J=Fdeltat
Favg=(deltaP)/(deltat)
momentum(P)
time(t)
J(impulse)

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) The forces for this part I solved for in part b. I looked at the question closer, and it only wants one impulse, and does not mention anything about finding them for both the x and y coordinates so that is why I think I did it wrong.
J=Fdeltat
Jx= 21.7N (.15s) = 3.25J ([itex]\hat{x}[/itex])
Jy= 3.3N (.15s) = .49J ([itex]\hat{y}[/itex])
b.) Calculate the average force exerted on the ball by the wall.
Favg = (deltaP)/(deltat)
deltax=-5-8 = -13 m/s
deltay= 6-8 = -2 m/s
deltaPx = (.25 kg)-13 m/s = -3.25 N ([itex]\hat{x}[/itex])
deltaPy = (.25 kg)-2 m/s = -.5 N ([itex]\hat{y}[/itex])
Favgx = (-3.25 ([itex]\hat{x}[/itex]))/.15s = -21.7N ([itex]\hat{x}[/itex])
Favgy = (-.5N ([itex]\hat{y}[/itex]))/.15s = -3.3N ([itex]\hat{y}[/itex])
As so for this I think I solved for the force exerted on the wall by the ball. I took the opposites of the two answers I just got to make them the force exerted on the ball by the wall.
c.) by this point I was pretty lost, but I do know that In an isolated system, the total momentum of the system is constant.

The more I look at the the more I think I am very wrong. I am pretty confused so if you could explain in as much detail as possible please that would be very helpful. I am kinda frustrated with it. Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Should the question give a time for the collision of 0.15 seconds? Are you aware of how impulse and the change in momentum are related?

Oh yes I am sorry for leaving that out. I know the equations, but no I am not entirely sure on how they relate to one another. I read through my notes and am only confused.

The impulse is equal to the change in momentum.

Ft = mv - mu

Any object with momentum is going to be hard to stop. To stop such an object, it is necessary to apply a force against its motion for a given period of time.

Awesome that helps a lot! I know how to do it now, other than I am unsure about how to find the velocity before and after. I have never seen the velocities in x and y coordinates like that before. Would it be vx= -5-8= -13 m/s ; vy= 6-8= -2 m/s for a Δv (-13-(-2))/2 = -5.5 m/s ?

Last edited:
When finding the resultant vector from components you use pythagoras (you will use this a lot)

v^2 = vx^2 + vy^2

1. What is impulse in physics?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time during which the force is applied.

2. How does impulse affect an object's motion?

Impulse causes a change in an object's momentum, which in turn affects its motion. The greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum and the greater the effect on the object's motion.

3. What is average force?

Average force is the constant force that, if applied for the same amount of time, would have the same effect on an object's motion as the actual varying force applied to the object.

4. How is impulse related to average force?

Impulse and average force are directly proportional to each other. This means that the greater the average force applied to an object, the greater the impulse and resulting change in momentum.

5. How can the concept of impulse and average force be applied to the scenario of a ball bouncing off a wall?

In the scenario of a ball bouncing off a wall, the impulse applied by the wall to the ball is equal to the impulse applied by the ball to the wall. The average force can also be calculated by dividing the impulse by the time during which it was applied. This can help determine the force exerted on the wall and the ball during the collision.