Impulse with snowballs hitting a wall

In summary: It is all garbled on my screen.In summary, the problem discusses the forces involved when a steady stream of 0.250 kg snowballs is shot perpendicularly into a wall at a certain speed. The graph given (Figure 9-49) shows the magnitude of the force on the wall as a function of time for two snowball impacts. The impacts occur at a repetition time interval and last a duration time interval, forming isosceles triangles on the graph. The question asks for the magnitudes of the impulse and the average force on the wall during each impact, as well as the average force during a time interval of multiple impacts. Using the equations Favg=m*v/t and J=Favg*t,
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

Two average forces. A steady stream of 0.250 kg snowballs is shot perpendicularly into a wall at a speed of . Each ball sticks to the wall. Figure 9-49 gives the magnitude F of the force on the wall as a function of time t for two of the snowball impacts. Impacts occur with a repetition time interval , last a duration time interval , and produce isosceles triangles on the graph, with each impact reaching a force maximum . During each impact, what are the magnitudes of (a) the impulse and (b) the average force on the wall? (c) During a time interval of many impacts, what is the magnitude of the average force on the wall?

upload_2016-11-16_13-29-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a
J=Favg*t
200N/2*.01seconds=1kgm/s
J=Δp=0-.25kg*4m/s= -1 kgm/s
The impulse should be positive since its asking for the impulse on the wall and not the snow ball correct? I should have had
.25kg*4m/s-0= 1 kgm/s ?
b,
Since the graph is of isosceles triangles I can just divide the max F by 2 to get 200N/2=100N
Or use:
Favg=m*v/t
=(.250kg*4m/s)/.01s
=100 N
c.
should just be the maximum force divided by the time interval between the peak of two impacts?
200N/.05s
4000N/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
For c:
Favg=m*v/t?
=(.250kg*4m/s)/.05s
20N

Apart from the mass of a snowball, you did not state any input numbers. I deduce you were told the impact velocity, the impact duration, the impact separation, and, redundantly, the peak force. As far as I can tell, your working is all correct.

I should have looked at how the copy/paste had actually performed when posting the problem

What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object when a force is applied to it for a certain amount of time.

How does a snowball hitting a wall demonstrate impulse?

When a snowball hits a wall, the snowball experiences a change in momentum due to the force applied by the wall. This change in momentum is known as impulse.

What factors affect the impulse when a snowball hits a wall?

The factors that affect the impulse when a snowball hits a wall include the mass of the snowball, the velocity of the snowball, and the duration of the impact.

How can the impulse be calculated for a snowball hitting a wall?

The impulse can be calculated by multiplying the force of impact by the time duration of the impact. This can be represented by the equation J = F * t.

Can the impulse of a snowball hitting a wall be changed?

Yes, the impulse of a snowball hitting a wall can be changed by altering the force or duration of the impact. For example, a larger force or longer duration of impact will result in a greater impulse.