Impulse question: throwing a rock

In summary, a 0.500 kg rock is thrown underhand at an angle of 40° above the horizontal, starting at rest from the lowest point and traveling 1.20 m in 0.300 s. Using the kinematics equation, the acceleration is found to be 26.666 m/s. Breaking this into horizontal and vertical components and taking into account the force of gravity, the applied force is calculated to be 16.9 N, which is also the average force exerted on the rock while it is in the hand.
Morange
Hello,

Homework Statement

You throw a 0.500 kg rock underhand, as shown in the diagram. The rock starts at rest from the lowest point moving at an angle of 40° above the horizontal, and leaves your hand 0.300 s later having traveled 1.20 m. What is the average force that you exert on the ball while it is in your hand?
GRabT8m.png

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{F}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∆P}{∆t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to sub the values straight in but not sure now to incorporate the force of gravity. Also I used the average speed for ∆P

F = 0.500kg*(1.2m/0.300s)/0.300s = 6.67 N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity will give an additional ∆P you can include in your calculation.

Also I used the average speed for ∆P
That looks wrong.

I think you have to assume a uniform acceleration here (that should be given - without that, it is not possible to calculate the average force).

By average force the question means the minimum force for the object to leave your hand? I didn't quite get the final data, like, where's the object land? By the data that you show I'm not show how to calculate this. Are there more date to the problem?

This was all the data given. I think I have it:

I found the acceleration using the kinematics equation

∆d = t*V1 + 1/2*a*t^2

in which ∆d = 1.2, V1 = 0, and t = 0.300s

1.2m = 0.300s*(0 m/s) + 1/2a(0.300)^2
then the a turns out to be 26.666 m/s

Then I broke the acceleration into x,y components
a(x) = 26.6666*cos(40) = 20.427
a(y) = 26.6666*sin(40) = 17.141

Then I calculated the net force for each component using F = m*a, m = 0.500kg
Fnet(x) = F(x, applied)
= 20.427m/s^2 * 0.500 kg
= 10.21 N

Fnet(y) =
F(y, applied) - Fg
= 17.141 m/s^2 *0.500 kg
= 8.57 N

Since the vertical component of net force is the sum of gravity and the applied force I add the force of gravity to the vertical net force
8.57 N + mg = 8.57 N + (0.500)(9.8) = 13.47 N

Now that I have the horizontal and vertical applied forces I used pythagorean theorem to figure out the applied force
F(applied) = [itex]\sqrt{13.47^2+10.21^2}[/itex]
= 16.9 N

Now I question I have is why is 16.9 N the average force AND the applied force? Is it due to it being constant force?

With the assumptions made in your derivation, it is a constant force, and the average of a constant value is always this constant value.

As I wrote before, you have to make an assumption about the acceleration process to get a result (--> bad problem statement), so a constant acceleration (and therefore a constant force) is the most reasonable choice.

Related to Impulse question: throwing a rock

1. How does the mass of the rock affect its impulse when thrown?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its impulse when thrown. The impulse of an object is determined by its change in momentum, which is a product of its mass and velocity. However, a heavier rock may require more force to accelerate it to a desired velocity, resulting in a larger impulse.

2. Does the force applied to the rock affect its impulse?

Yes, the force applied to the rock affects its impulse. According to Newton's second law, force is directly proportional to the change in momentum. Therefore, a greater force will result in a larger impulse on the rock.

3. How does the angle of release affect the impulse of a thrown rock?

The angle of release does not directly affect the impulse of a thrown rock. However, it can affect the direction of the impulse and the resulting trajectory of the rock. For example, throwing a rock at a higher angle will result in a greater vertical component of the impulse, causing the rock to travel higher in the air.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of the rock and its impulse?

The speed of the rock is directly proportional to its impulse. This is because impulse is defined as the change in momentum, and momentum is equal to mass times velocity. Therefore, a greater speed will result in a larger impulse.

5. How does air resistance affect the impulse of a thrown rock?

Air resistance can affect the impulse of a thrown rock by reducing its velocity. As the rock travels through the air, it experiences air resistance, which acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This can decrease the rock's speed and therefore decrease its impulse. However, the effect of air resistance on the impulse of a rock is typically small and can be ignored for most practical purposes.