1-D Projectile Motion: Throwing a Rock

In summary: It should be:##v = u + at##The Attempt at a SolutionIn summary, the rock is thrown upwards from a bridge and passes by the thrower 5 seconds later. To find the speed of the rock before it reaches the water 21 meters below, we can use the equations v= v0 + at and v^2-u^2 = 2as. After deriving the second equation, we can plug in the values and solve for the final velocity, which is equal to the initial velocity plus the acceleration multiplied by the time. This gives us a final velocity of 24.5 m/s.
Jarvis88

Homework Statement

[/B]
You throw a small rock straight up from the edge of a highway bridge that crosses a river. The rock passes you on its way down, 5.00 s after it was thrown. What is the speed of the rock just before it reaches the water 21.0 m below the point where the rock left your hand? Ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

[/B]
y= y0+v0t-1/2*gt2
v= v0 -1/2*gt.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used v= v0 -1/2*gt to arrive at the velocity that the rock was going at the moment it was passing the hand. My answer was v= 0- 1/2*(9.8m/s2), which gave me 24.5m/s. I have an idea of where to go from here. I know I need to use v2 − 2g(y − y 0).

My issue is that I don't want to just memorize the equation. I need help deriving it from the two basic equations: y= y0+v0t-1/2*gt2 and v= v0 -1/2*gt. Once I do that, I believe I can finish the problem on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, you want to derive?

##v^2 - u^2 = 2as##

PeroK said:
So, you want to derive?

##v^2 - u^2 = 2as##

I think so, although I'm not sure what the s and u are for.

Jarvis88 said:
I think so, although I'm not sure what the s and u are for.

##u## is the initial velocity and ##s## is the displacement. I'm not sure why ##s## is used, but it's fairly standard.

Here's my favourite derivation, as it reflects the way I think about kinematic problems:

##v^2-u^2 = (v-u)(v+u)##

Now:

##v-u = at##

Because the difference between the final and initial velocities is just the acceleration multiplied by the time.

And:

##\frac{v+u}{2} = v_{avg} \ \ ## is the average velocity (when you have constant acceleration). Hence:

##v+u = 2v_{avg}##

And

##s = v_{avg}t \ \ ## because the displacement is simply the average velocity multiplied by the time.

So, putting this all together:

##(v-u)(v+u) = at(v+u) = 2atv_{avg} = 2as##

Likes Jarvis88
Jarvis88 said:

Homework Equations

[/B]
y= y0+v0t-1/2*gt2
v= v0 -1/2*gt.

You need to check where you got this second equation from.

1. What exactly is 1-D projectile motion?

1-D projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a straight line with a constant acceleration due to the force of gravity. This type of motion occurs when an object is thrown or launched into the air, such as throwing a rock.

2. How does the initial velocity affect the trajectory of the rock?

The initial velocity, or the speed and direction at which the rock is thrown, determines the shape of the rock's trajectory. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer and higher trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter and lower trajectory.

3. What is the role of gravity in 1-D projectile motion?

Gravity plays a crucial role in 1-D projectile motion as it is the force that causes the object to accelerate towards the ground. The acceleration due to gravity is always constant and acts in the downward direction.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of the rock?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of the rock. It can slow down the rock's velocity and cause it to follow a curved path instead of a straight line. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape and size of the rock.

5. Can you calculate the final position of the rock after it is thrown?

Yes, the final position of the rock can be calculated using the equations of motion and the initial velocity and angle of launch. However, factors such as air resistance and variations in gravity may affect the accuracy of the calculation.