Impulsive Tensions involving 3 particles

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving three particles connected by strings and an impulse applied to one of the particles. The given angle of 60 degrees is believed to be a typo, and the correct angle is determined to be YXZ. The solution involves writing equations for the horizontal and vertical components of velocity and solving for the unknown velocities using algebra. The final answer for the x and y components of the three particle velocities is 7/15.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

Please help; I've been attempting this question for days now and cannot get very far... I am desperate now

Three identical particles X, Y, and Z of mass m are placed on a smooth horizontal
table. X is joined to Y and Z by light (can be thought of as massless) inextensible
strings XY and XZ. The angle XYZ is 60. An impulse I is applied to X in the
direction YX. The strings act as constraints so that the initial motions of Y
and Z must be the same as the components of the initial motion of X along YX
and ZX, respectively. Determine the initial velocities of the particles.

Homework Equations

So I managed to get

Vxcos(alpha)= Vy where alpha is the angle made by the horizontal and velocity of x
Vxsin(alpha)= Vzsin(theta)
I=2mVy+ mVzcos(theta)
Vxcos(theta + alpha) = Vz

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that your equations are correct. But, you didn't specify the meaning of the angle theta in your equations. It would have been helpful if you had stated that you are taking the string between X and Y to be horizontal.

Oops- I forgot to mention that. Changing the orientation of it just makes the maths a bit easier I find. Do you have any advice as to where to go from here?

I would write out the 2nd law equations as if there were a time-dependent force F(t) acting on X , rather than an impulsive force. Then I would integrate as if the force F were very large and imposed for a very short time.

Chet

Physgeek64 said:
Oops- I forgot to mention that. Changing the orientation of it just makes the maths a bit easier I find. Do you have any advice as to where to go from here?
OK, your equations look correct. You have four equations for four unknowns. So now it's algebra.
You might consider writing the equations in terms of the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity of X rather than the magnitude and direction of the velocity of X.

Physgeek64 said:
The angle XYZ is 60.
Did you mean YXZ?

No it's the angle xyz. If it were yxz I could do it :/

Physgeek64 said:
No it's the angle xyz. If it were yxz I could do it :/
If the only known angle is XYZ then you do not have enough information. Consider the case where XZ is extremely long. The angle YXZ could be obtuse, meaning that Z will not immediately move (the string XZ will go slack). Conversely, if XZ=XY then Y and Z could be at the same point.

haruspex said:
If the only known angle is XYZ then you do not have enough information. Consider the case where XZ is extremely long. The angle YXZ could be obtuse, meaning that Z will not immediately move (the string XZ will go slack). Conversely, if XZ=XY then Y and Z could be at the same point.
Yeah. The XYZ must be a typo.

Physgeek64: Let's see what you come up with if you solve it with YXZ. Now that's an interesting (and challenging) problem.

Chet

I've solved it if I let yxz be 60 degrees. My big problem is if xyz is 60 because, as you've said, resolving momentum in the Xz direction is near impossible

Physgeek64 said:
I've solved it if I let yxz be 60 degrees. My big problem is if xyz is 60 because, as you've said, resolving momentum in the Xz direction is near impossible
If the given angle is XYZ then, as I have shown, solving the question is not near impossible - it is completely impossible. It has to be a typo.
With YXZ as 60, you get fractions like 4/9 in the answer, yes?

haruspex said:
If the given angle is XYZ then, as I have shown, solving the question is not near impossible - it is completely impossible. It has to be a typo.
With YXZ as 60, you get fractions like 4/9 in the answer, yes?
I got answers such as 7/15

Can you please tell us what your results were for the x and y components of the three particle velocities. We would like to compare them with our results. Thanks.

I get 7/15 also.

What is the definition of impulsive tensions involving 3 particles?

Impulsive tensions involving 3 particles refer to the sudden forces or pulls that occur between three separate objects or particles in a given system. These tensions are typically caused by an external force acting on the system or by internal forces generated by the particles themselves.

How do you calculate the magnitude of impulsive tensions involving 3 particles?

The magnitude of impulsive tensions can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. In order to determine the magnitude of impulsive tensions, the masses of the three particles involved and their respective accelerations must be known.

What are some real-world examples of impulsive tensions involving 3 particles?

One example of impulsive tensions involving 3 particles is the collision of three cars on a highway. The external force of one car hitting another can cause impulsive tensions between all three cars, resulting in changes in their velocities and directions of motion.

How do impulsive tensions involving 3 particles affect the overall motion of a system?

Impulsive tensions can cause changes in the velocities and directions of motion for all three particles involved in a system. These changes can be sudden and unpredictable, making it important to carefully consider and calculate impulsive tensions in order to accurately predict the motion of a system.

What are some factors that can affect the magnitude of impulsive tensions involving 3 particles?

The magnitude of impulsive tensions can be affected by a variety of factors, including the masses and velocities of the particles involved, the angle and direction of the external force acting on the system, and any internal forces generated by the particles themselves. Other factors, such as friction and air resistance, can also play a role in determining the magnitude of impulsive tensions.