In what chapter do Mehra and Rechenberg discuss Pauli matrices?

Frigorifico9
TL;DR Summary
I have read the first three volumes and despite talking about Pauli A LOT they don't mention Pauli matrices
I am very interested in how Pauli found the Pauli matrices, so I read his original paper, but it didn't give me the perspective I wanted, so I went to Mehra and Rechenberg, but here's the thing, after reading Volumes 1, 2 and most of volume 3, I can't find any mention of Pauli matrices anywhere

They describe how Pauli gets closer and closer to the idea, but they never actually talk about it. It's like intellectual edging

Please, if someone else has read these books, just help me find where this is discussed, I really want to know

Likes dextercioby
Physics news on Phys.org
It's in vol. 6.1 starting on page 280.

Likes dextercioby and Demystifier
Frigorifico9 said:
Mehra and Rechenberg
That book series is a monster. :bow:

Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
It's in vol. 6.1 starting on page 280.
Thank you so much. For something so important, they talk about it remarkably little. I have also not found a single mention of the Stern-Gerlach experiment. Do you happen to know when they cover that?

Demystifier said:
That book series is a monster. :bow:
It needs diagrams, photos, graphs, and better formatting

Frigorifico9 said:
Thank you so much. For something so important, they talk about it remarkably little. I have also not found a single mention of the Stern-Gerlach experiment. Do you happen to know when they cover that?
They have a Subject Index for all volumes in the last volume, 6.2. The SGE is mentioned at several places.

Frigorifico9 said:
It needs diagrams, photos, graphs, and better formatting
Well, it's not a pop-sci book but an amazing work of history of science. The only thing I hate is that they have only a subject index for all 6 volumes (some with subvolumes) at the very end. To find something is this huge work is not easy, which is a pity.

Likes Demystifier

1. What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli. They are commonly denoted as σx, σy, and σz and are used to represent spin in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of Mehra and Rechenberg discussing Pauli matrices?

Mehra and Rechenberg were two physicists who wrote a comprehensive history of quantum mechanics. In their book, they discuss the development and use of Pauli matrices in quantum mechanics, providing insight into their significance in the field.

3. In which chapter do Mehra and Rechenberg discuss Pauli matrices?

Mehra and Rechenberg discuss Pauli matrices in Chapter 7 of their book, titled "The Emergence of Quantum Mechanics."

4. What is the main focus of Mehra and Rechenberg's discussion on Pauli matrices?

The main focus of their discussion is on the historical development and use of Pauli matrices in quantum mechanics, including their role in the discovery of spin and their application in solving the Schrödinger equation.

5. Are Pauli matrices still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, Pauli matrices are still relevant in modern physics and are used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, quantum computing, and particle physics. They are an essential tool in understanding spin and its applications in these fields.