Inclined plane and spring problem

In summary, the block is released from rest with the spring in the stretched position. The block moves 10 cm down the incline before coming to rest. Find the coefficient of friction between the block and the incline. Assume that the spring has a negligible mass and the pulley is frictionless. TheAttempt at a SolutionI solved it using energy concept. ie work done by spring force + work done by friction + work done by gravity = 0(no change in KE) ie -1/2*k*(x^2) - u*mg*cos(37)*x + mgsin(37)*x=0 that leads to 1/2*k*x=mg{sin 37 -cos(37)*u
emailanmol
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/inclinedplane.png/

1.Homework Statement

The block is released from rest with the spring in the
unstretched position. The block moves 10 cm down the incline before coming to rest.
Find the coefficient of friction between the block and the incline. Assume that the
spring has a negligible mass and the pulley is frictionless.

Go to the link below for the figure

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/inclinedplane.png/

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it using energy concept.

ie work done by spring force + work done by friction + work done by gravity = 0(no change in KE)

ie
-1/2*k*(x^2) - u*mg*cos(37)*x + mgsin(37)*x=0

that leads to

1/2*k*x=mg{sin 37 -cos(37)*u)-------Remember this as equation (1)

I plug in and get the answer as nearly 0.125 :-)

-------------------------------------------------Now the real problem

What if i use force equation.
At the point the block comes to rest, three forces act on the block along the inclined plane namely friction(acts upward), spring force(acts upward) and weight component along the plane(acts downward)

so kx + umgcos(37)=mgsin(37)

ie kx=mg{sin(37)-u*cos(37)}

which contradicts equation (1) i got earlier as the LHS there was K*x*1/2What mistake am i making?
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I think I got it, but I'm not sure.

I think your first solution using the conservation of energy is correct.

But the second solution using Newton's 2nd law is not. You assumed that at equilibrium the frictional force acts upward along the string and is [itex]F_{friction} = \mu m g \cos(37^{\circ})[/itex]. But actually the static frictional force can be anywhere within the range [itex]\mu m g \cos(37^{\circ}) \geq F_{friction} \geq - \mu m g \cos(37^{\circ})[/itex].

Hmm.I don't think this reasoning is correct.

Lets take the instant just before the block stops. The extension in spring is nearly 10 cm.Gravity component is constant and kinetic friction is acting as a very small magnitude of velocity is still there.Also acceleration is tending towards zero.

Since kinetic friction is acting it is N*u where N is our normal reaction constant at Mg*cos(37).

That gives our equation as nearly the force equation back.
So there has to be another reason.

emailanmol said:
Lets take the instant just before the block stops. The extension in spring is nearly 10 cm.Gravity component is constant and kinetic friction is acting as a very small magnitude of velocity is still there.Also acceleration is tending towards zero.
I agree with everything here except the claim that the acceleration is tending towards zero. It is actually decelerating at the higest rate. The component of the net force on the block in the upward direction along the string is [itex]F_{1} = k x + \mu m g \cos(37^{\circ}) - m g \sin(37^{\circ})[/itex]. This keeps increasing as [itex]x[/itex] increases. The block initially started moving with some acceleration in the downward direction along the string. at that moment [itex]F_{1} < 0[/itex]. At some point during its downward movement the block attained zero acceleration when [itex]F_{1} = 0[/itex]. That's when it had the highest velocity. Then as [itex]x[/itex] increased [itex]F_{1}[/itex] increased so that [itex]F_{1} > 0[/itex], and the block started decelerating in the downward direction (i.e. started accelerating in the upward direction). At the moment just before the block stops [itex]x[/itex] is at a maximum, therefore [itex]F_{1}[/itex] is at a maximum and so the deceleration is at a maximum. If you apply Newton's 2nd law for that moment you need to take that deceleration into account.

Then the block attained zero velocity and started moving in the upward direction. At that moment the frictional force changed and started pointing in the downward direction (The dynamic friction became static friction. The static friction can take any value between [itex]\mu m g \cos(37^{\circ}) \geq F_{friction} \geq - \mu m g \cos(37^{\circ})[/itex]). If its magnitude was not enough to completely stop the upward acceleration when [itex]F_{friction} = - \mu m g \cos(37^{\circ})[/itex], the block would undergo a damped harmonic motion. But since they say the block stops we have to assume that it was enough to completely stop the upward acceleration. So the acceleration is zero and the velocity is zero and the block comes to a complete standstill. The final static frictional force is not [itex]\mu m g \cos (37^{\circ})[/itex]. It gets settled somewhere between [itex]\mu m g \cos (37^{\circ})[/itex] and [itex]- \mu m g \cos (37^{\circ})[/itex] so that the acceleration is zero.

Last edited:
I got it Omoplata.
Thank you so much.You are dead right :-)

Related to Inclined plane and spring problem

1. What is an inclined plane and spring problem?

An inclined plane and spring problem is a physics problem that involves a block or object on an inclined plane, connected to a spring. The goal is to determine the forces and motion of the object as it moves up or down the inclined plane, due to the force of gravity and the spring.

2. How do you solve an inclined plane and spring problem?

To solve an inclined plane and spring problem, you will need to use the principles of Newton's laws of motion, Hooke's law for springs, and trigonometry. You will also need to set up and solve equations for the forces acting on the object, such as the force of gravity, normal force, and the force of the spring.

3. What are the key variables in an inclined plane and spring problem?

The key variables in an inclined plane and spring problem include the mass of the object, the angle of the incline, the spring constant, the initial position and velocity of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. Can you use calculus to solve an inclined plane and spring problem?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve an inclined plane and spring problem. You may need to use calculus when the problem involves changing forces or when you need to find the velocity or acceleration of the object at a specific point in time.

5. What are some real-life applications of inclined plane and spring problems?

Inclined plane and spring problems can be applied to many real-life situations, such as the movement of a car on a slope, the motion of a rollercoaster, and the launch of a projectile on an incline. They can also be used in engineering and design to determine the forces and motion of objects on inclined surfaces.