Inclined Plane Problem-- Solving for Theta

In summary, the conversation is about two inclined plane problems that the speaker is unable to solve. They mention using the equation Fnet=ma and breaking down the gravity force into x and y components. They also mention finding expressions for normal force and kinetic friction. However, they are unable to find an answer and mention adjusting the angle for a constant speed. Another person points out that the velocity should be constant, not the acceleration, and suggests reworking the problem with a=0.
drdevil52

Homework Statement

These two problems are inclined plane problems which I cannot figure out. The problems are attached in the image below.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I first broke down the gravity force into its x and y components. After that, I did this:
mgsinx-F(kinetic friction)=ma

and found the expression for normal force: N=mgcosx

then found the expression for F(kinetic friction): mgcosxµk

I tried plugging in the expression for kinetic friction:

mgsinx-mgcosx(µk)=ma

I wasn't able to find an answer using this method so now I have no clue how to proceed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 7.24.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 7.24.17 PM.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 907
Physics news on Phys.org
The important part of the question says (the print is too small for my eyes) the angle is adjusted so that the block has a constant speed of (can't read it) call it v.

Assume your equation is correct, what is the acceleration if the velocity is constant?

Oh I see, I completely overlooked that-- I mistook the velocity for acceleration. I'll rework this with a=0 and see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is often used to make it easier to move objects from one height to another by decreasing the amount of force needed.

2. How do you calculate the angle (theta) of an inclined plane?

To calculate the angle of an inclined plane, you need to know the height and length of the plane. Then, you can use the trigonometric function tangent (tan) to find the angle. The formula is theta = tan^-1(height/length).

3. What is the relationship between theta and the weight of an object on an inclined plane?

The weight of an object on an inclined plane is directly related to the angle (theta) of the plane. As the angle increases, the component of the weight that is acting parallel to the plane also increases. This means that the object will slide down the plane more easily.

4. How does friction affect the force needed to move an object on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it makes it harder to move an object on an inclined plane. The steeper the angle of the plane, the more friction there is, so the more force is needed to overcome it. This is why a lower angle makes it easier to move an object on an inclined plane.

5. Can you use the inclined plane to lift an object?

Yes, an inclined plane can be used to lift an object to a higher height. However, it will require more force to lift the object compared to using a straight ramp. This is because the inclined plane requires more distance to move the object to the same height, so more work is needed.