Increase of array memory in gfortran compiler

In summary, The speaker is seeking advice on how to increase the memory allocation for their code in Fortran, as they have already increased the size of the vector but need more space. Another speaker suggests using the "kind" parameter to allocate larger arrays and notes that it is only available in Fortran 90/95, not 77.
Cleiton
Dear colleagues

My code in Fortran passes all data in one large vector. I increased the size of this vector for the maximum that the compiler accepts but still need more positions allocable to it. Is there any way I can increase the memory allocation of the compiler?

Thank's

Technology news on Phys.org
Hi, do not forget that the maximum size for an array is determined by the CPU architecture, i.e. 32bit or 64bit. Anyhow, you can use the word "kind" to allocate very large arrays, e.g

real(kind=4) :: var
You can also use kind=8 or even kind=16. One last thing, the parameter kind is used in Fortran 90/95 not 77

What is array memory in gfortran compiler?

Array memory in gfortran compiler refers to the amount of memory allocated for storing arrays, which are data structures consisting of a collection of elements of the same type. This memory is typically used for efficient storage and retrieval of data in scientific and engineering applications.

How can I increase array memory in gfortran compiler?

To increase array memory in gfortran compiler, you can use the "ulimit" command to change the maximum amount of memory that can be used by the compiler. Alternatively, you can also use the "gfortran -mcmodel=medium" flag to allow the compiler to access larger amounts of memory.

What are the benefits of increasing array memory in gfortran compiler?

Increasing array memory in gfortran compiler can allow for the storage and manipulation of larger arrays, which can be beneficial for handling larger datasets and performing more complex calculations. This can also improve the performance and efficiency of programs written in gfortran.

Are there any limitations to increasing array memory in gfortran compiler?

Yes, there are limitations to increasing array memory in gfortran compiler. The amount of memory that can be allocated depends on the system's hardware and operating system. Additionally, increasing array memory may also result in longer compilation times and slower program execution.

Is it necessary to increase array memory in gfortran compiler?

It depends on the specific needs of your program. If your program requires large arrays or deals with large datasets, then increasing array memory may be necessary. However, if your program does not require a significant amount of memory, then it may not be necessary to increase array memory in gfortran compiler.