Increase the frequency of AC current

In summary, you want to control the frequency of AC current using a rectifying power supply. You need to know the voltage and current rating of the electromagnet, and what type of AC power supply you are using.
mostwantedmani
How to increase or decrease the frequency of AC current linearly? Suggest me some ideas

Engineering news on Phys.org
mostwantedmani said:
How to increase or decrease the frequency of AC current linearly? Suggest me some ideas. I want to vary the frequency like 1Hz 2Hz 3...60Hz

Frequency multiplier circuits are conventional technology.

I want to switch the poles of an electromagnet using a AC power supply... In Order to control the switching speed I would like to control the frequency of the AC current.

still not too much info forthcoming from you

Tell us about the electromagnet ...
its voltage and current rating ?.
Is it a commercial or home made electromagnet ?
what sort of AC power supply are you using?
why do you want to vary the switching speed ?
what do you think it will achieve ... ie ... what are your goals ?

Dave

mostwantedmani said:
I want to switch the poles of an electromagnet using a AC power supply... In Order to control the switching speed I would like to control the frequency of the AC current.
Would a circuit that continuously reverses the polarity of a DC supply do what you want? It would have a control that varies the rate at which polarity reverses. How often do you want the polarity to reverse? Maximum rate, minimum rate?

Essentially you need to build a variable frequency signal generator that outputs the appropriate waveform for your application. That can drive an appropriate circuit to deal with the voltages and currents you require.

Depending on the frequency range and precision you desire there are many ways to do this, from microprocessor controlled PWM to digitally controlled numerical methods, to counter based DAC's to analog oscillators or multivibrators.

Look at application circuits for the 555 timer. (google 555 variable multivibratorand look at images)

upload_2015-1-10_16-41-25.png

We need more system requirements in order to pin down what is best for your level of expertise.

You need a cyclo converter or an AC source from Ametek or Chroma. Easier to buy it than to build it yourself if you have little experience in power electronics.

mostwantedmani said:
How to increase or decrease the frequency of AC current linearly? Suggest me some ideas

Start with rectifying the source AC. And use it as the power source.

A. Power a variable-speed motor driving an AC generator
B. Use analog sine oscillator with a variable frequency to drive a power amplifier
C. Use a variable frequency digital sine generator to create a sine wave to drive a power amplifier
D. Use a variable frequency digital generator to drive a set of switching elements to approximate a sine wave

I can go on like this for a long time. As noted above, I need more information to narrow the idea stream down

1. What is meant by "increasing the frequency of AC current"?

Increasing the frequency of AC current refers to the process of adjusting the rate at which the alternating current (AC) changes direction. This is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) and is commonly found in electrical systems.

2. Why would someone want to increase the frequency of AC current?

There are several reasons why someone may want to increase the frequency of AC current. One common reason is to reduce the size and cost of electrical equipment, as higher frequencies allow for the use of smaller components. Additionally, higher frequency currents can also improve the efficiency of electrical systems.

3. How is the frequency of AC current increased?

The frequency of AC current can be increased through the use of an electrical device called an inverter. This device converts direct current (DC) into AC current with a higher frequency. Another method is through the use of a transformer, which can step up the frequency of AC current.

4. Are there any drawbacks to increasing the frequency of AC current?

Yes, there are potential drawbacks to increasing the frequency of AC current. One major drawback is that higher frequency currents can result in increased power losses and reduced transmission distances. This can be mitigated through the use of specialized equipment, but it can also be more expensive.

5. What are some common applications of increased frequency AC currents?

Increased frequency AC currents are commonly used in various industries, such as transportation (e.g. electric trains), renewable energy (e.g. solar panels), and telecommunications. They are also used in medical equipment, such as X-ray machines, and in consumer electronics like televisions and computers.