Indefinite Integral Calculus II

In summary, indefinite integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that involves finding the antiderivative of a given function. It differs from definite integral calculus in that it does not have limits of integration and results in a general solution. The process for finding an indefinite integral involves using rules and including a constant of integration. Some real-world applications include physics, engineering, and economics. To improve skills in this subject, regular practice, familiarizing with rules and techniques, seeking help from a tutor or study group, and working on real-world problems are recommended.
Wm_Davies

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{ \tan x \sec^2 x }{ \tan^2 x + 6 \tan x + 8 } dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int \frac{ \tan x \sec^2 x }{ \tan^2 x + 6 \tan x + 8 } dx[/tex]
Okay I let...

[tex]u=tanx[/tex]
[tex]du=sec^2x[/tex]

Then I got

[tex]\int \frac{ u }{ (u+4)(u+2) } du[/tex]

Then I split this into partial fractions which is not working... for some reason. Can somebody please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac {2}{u+4} + \frac{-1}{u+2}[/tex]

Related to Indefinite Integral Calculus II

What is indefinite integral calculus?

Indefinite integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the antiderivative, or the original function, of a given function. It involves finding the general solution, rather than a specific numerical value.

What is the difference between indefinite integral calculus and definite integral calculus?

The main difference between indefinite and definite integral calculus is that indefinite integrals do not have limits of integration, while definite integrals do. Indefinite integrals also result in a general solution, while definite integrals give a specific numerical value.

What is the process for finding an indefinite integral?

The process for finding an indefinite integral involves using a set of rules, such as the power rule or the substitution rule, to find the antiderivative of a given function. It is important to always include the constant of integration in the solution.

What are some real-world applications of indefinite integral calculus?

Indefinite integral calculus has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of objects, as well as to determine the area under a curve, which is useful in calculating profits and costs in business.

How can I improve my skills in indefinite integral calculus?

To improve your skills in indefinite integral calculus, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the different rules and techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get a better understanding of the concepts. Additionally, working on real-world problems and applications can also improve your skills in this subject.