Independence of Trace-Partition function

In summary, the partition function for a system of two completely decoupled subsystems can be calculated by taking the product of the partition functions for each subsystem. This can be seen by considering the Gibbs distribution for each subsystem and taking into account their statistical independence. The resulting partition function is equal to the trace of the exponential of the Hamiltonian for each subsystem multiplied together.
George444fg
TL;DR Summary
Partition Function of a separable hamiltonian
I am trying to calculate the partition function of the system of two completely decoupled systems. Probability-wise, the decoupled nature means that the PDF is the product of the PDF of each subsystem. I just wanted to be sure that it would translate into:

$$
H = \sum_{k_i, s_i}e^{H_s(s_i)}e^{H_k(k_i)} = \sum_{k_i}(\sum_{s_i}e^{H_s(s_i)})e^{H_k(k_i)} = \sum_{s_i}e^{H_s(s_i)}\sum_{k_i}e^{H_k(k_i)} = Tr(e^{H_s(s_i)})*Tr(e^{H_k(k_i)})
$$

I know the question seems trivial, but I got a bit confused, and I would like to be 100% sure. Thank you for any help you can provide

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation seems rather awkward (the "##H##" on the left-hand-side of your formula has nothing to do with the "##H##'s" in the exponents), but essentially yes - your expression is correct.

You can also see that you're right by considering, e.g., the Gibbs distribution for the subsystem ##n## (with the Hamiltonian ##H_n##) at the given temperature ##T## (##k_B## below is the Boltzmann constant):
$$ p_n(T) = \frac{e^{-H_n/k_B T}}{Z_n(T)} \rm{,}$$
where ##Z_n(T)## is the partition function for this subsystem,
$$ Z_n(T) = \text{Tr}\{e^{-H_n/k_B T}\} \rm{.}$$
Now, if you have two statistically independent subsystems ##s## and ##k##, the probability density of the total system ##s+k## is a product, as you've already noted:
$$p_{sk}(T) = p_s(T) \cdot p_k(T) \rm{.}$$
From this you immediately obtain that the partition function for the total ##s+k## system is ##Z_{sk}(T) = Z_s(T) \cdot Z_k(T)## - which is the result you got at the rightmost hand-side of your formula.

1. What is the Independence of Trace-Partition function?

The Independence of Trace-Partition function is a mathematical concept used in the field of statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of a system of particles. It refers to the property of a system where the total number of particles is independent of the way in which they are divided into subsets. In other words, the total number of particles in a system remains the same regardless of how they are grouped or partitioned.

2. How is the Independence of Trace-Partition function related to statistical mechanics?

The Independence of Trace-Partition function is a fundamental principle in statistical mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of large systems of particles. It is used to describe the behavior of systems in equilibrium, where the particles are distributed according to their energy levels and the total number of particles is conserved.

3. What is the significance of the Independence of Trace-Partition function in physics?

The Independence of Trace-Partition function plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as gases and liquids. It allows scientists to make predictions about the macroscopic properties of a system based on its microscopic components, and has applications in various fields, including thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and materials science.

4. How is the Independence of Trace-Partition function calculated?

The Independence of Trace-Partition function is calculated using statistical mechanics equations, such as the partition function and the Boltzmann distribution. These equations take into account the energy levels and interactions between particles to determine the probability of a certain partitioning of particles. The Independence of Trace-Partition function is then obtained by summing over all possible partitions.

5. Can the Independence of Trace-Partition function be violated?

No, the Independence of Trace-Partition function is a fundamental principle in statistical mechanics and cannot be violated. It is a consequence of the conservation of energy and the fact that particles are indistinguishable. However, in certain cases, such as in non-equilibrium systems, the Independence of Trace-Partition function may not hold, but this is due to the system not being in equilibrium rather than a violation of the principle itself.