Independent branch of Mathematics?

In summary, the speaker has done well in undergraduate mathematics and is now interested in studying more advanced topics such as number theory and set theory. They are looking for self-contained areas of mathematics that they can study without fully understanding advanced undergraduate subjects. They are considering number theory and game theory, but are open to other recommendations. They mention having a background in calculus and note that they have noticed a lot of material in combinatorics. They thank the other speakers for their suggestions.
1mmorta1
I have done well in undergraduate mathematics, and would like to do some self study in something more advanced and stimulating.

I am interested in concepts such as number theory and set theory, or any type of mathematics that can be used to study systems of information, behavior...anything beyond your "daily" mathematical calculations.

The problem is that I've noticed I often don't understand some of the basic concepts in advanced mathematics books. I recognize that this just means I have more learning to do before I can begin studies in those areas :)

My question is if there are any advanced areas of mathematics that are self-contained, that I could study from the ground up without having to understand some of the more advanced undergrad subjects. (i.e. can I study [insert branch here] without mastering lie groups, or having taking coursework on mathematical proofs, and so on and so on)

I am certainly not mathematicaly incompetent, but I'm also not a graduate student. I was thinking perhaps number theory or game theory could be prime candidates, but don't want to purchase any materials only to find out they are beyond me.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

(This question may need to be moved from this thread, I wasn't sure where the best place to post it would be)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Number theory is probably your best bet. Game theory might need calculus. If you have had calculus, there is much more open.

I think combinatorics is also a pretty good bet.

Thank you guys. Calculus won't be a problem :) Wow, there is an awful lot to combinatorics.

I would like to say that mathematics is a vast and ever-growing field, with many different branches that can be considered independent. Number theory and set theory are just two examples of these branches, and they can definitely be used to study systems of information and behavior beyond basic calculations. However, it is important to note that all areas of mathematics are interconnected and build upon each other, so it is always beneficial to have a strong foundation in the basics before delving into advanced topics.

That being said, there are certainly areas of mathematics that are more self-contained and can be studied without a deep understanding of other advanced topics. Number theory and game theory are good examples of this, as they have their own set of principles and concepts that can be studied independently. However, it is still important to have a solid understanding of mathematical proofs and logic, as these are fundamental skills in any advanced area of mathematics.

If you are interested in self-studying these topics, I would recommend starting with some introductory textbooks or online courses to build a strong foundation before moving on to more advanced materials. It is also helpful to have a mentor or someone knowledgeable in the field to guide you and answer any questions you may have.

In summary, while there are certainly independent branches of mathematics, it is always beneficial to have a strong understanding of the basics before diving into advanced topics. With dedication and hard work, you can certainly self-study and excel in these areas. Good luck in your studies!

1. What is an Independent Branch of Mathematics?

An Independent Branch of Mathematics is a specific area of mathematics that is self-contained and has its own set of concepts, theories, and techniques, but is not directly related to any other branch of mathematics. It often develops from a particular problem or set of problems that require a unique approach and has its own applications in real-world situations.

2. How is an Independent Branch of Mathematics different from other branches?

Unlike other branches of mathematics, an Independent Branch does not rely on or build upon the concepts and theories of other branches. It has its own set of axioms, definitions, and methods that are specific to that particular area of study.

3. What are some examples of Independent Branches of Mathematics?

Some examples of Independent Branches of Mathematics include graph theory, number theory, and game theory. These areas of study have their own distinct concepts and techniques that are not directly related to other branches of mathematics.

4. How are Independent Branches of Mathematics useful?

Independent Branches of Mathematics have a wide range of applications in various fields such as computer science, economics, and engineering. They also help in solving complex problems and developing new mathematical models and methods.

5. Is it possible for an Independent Branch of Mathematics to become a part of another branch?

Yes, it is possible for an Independent Branch of Mathematics to become a part of another branch. This often happens when a particular area of study gains more recognition and interest, leading to its integration into a larger branch of mathematics.