Independent study for lab work

In summary, a physics major in a research group studying the fractional quantum hall effect in 2D electron gases is seeking advice on how to start learning about quantum mechanics to understand the research better. Suggestions include looking into the textbook used for the quantum mechanics course, going through relevant papers and seeking help from experienced members of the research group.
Charlie Guinn
Hi everybody,

I'm a second semester physics major who was fortunate enough to get a position in a research group at my school. What I want to do is get a head start on learning the physics that this lab studies. Currently, I'm in the honors section of basic E & M and I do well in class, not really having any issues. What the lab I'm in studies is the fractional quantum hall effect in 2D electron gases. I've learned all about the "normal" hall effect in class and I'm SO curious about the quantum hall effect that we're measuring. My question is this: Is there a reasonable way for me to start learning about the basics of quantum mechanics to give me an understanding of the fractional quantum hall effect? I understand that I have a LONG way to go before I'm there, but I'm so curious that I can barely stand it. If there is a way, could somebody point me in the right direction of where to start studying? I'm getting into reading papers that other universities publish about the same research, but I always get lost once things get quantum. Any help?

-Charlie

Physics news on Phys.org
You may just want to figure out which book the quantum course there uses, buy it, and then look through the necessary chapters when you come across something you don't know.

Normally, one devotes at least a year to quantum mechanics starting from the level of Griffiths to that of Sakurai. In your case, I would suggest to go through the papers you wish to understand, identify the portions which require the knowledge of quantum mechanics and try to get that knowledge from the textbooks. It is hard and unconventional, but you may have to start doing it at some point.
Also you can get much oriented advice from the members of your group who have been doing the research in that field. Find a graduate student or a postdoc who is patient enough and willing enough to explain the relevant concepts.

1. What is independent study for lab work?

Independent study for lab work is a type of educational program where students are given the opportunity to design and carry out their own research project in a laboratory setting, under the guidance of a faculty mentor. It allows students to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills while exploring a specific scientific topic in depth.

2. How does independent study for lab work differ from traditional lab classes?

In traditional lab classes, students follow a pre-determined set of experiments and procedures, while in independent study for lab work, students have the freedom to design and conduct their own experiments. This allows for a more personalized and in-depth learning experience.

3. What are the benefits of participating in independent study for lab work?

There are several benefits to participating in independent study for lab work, including developing independent research skills, gaining hands-on experience in a laboratory setting, and exploring a specific scientific topic of interest. It also allows for a more personalized learning experience and can be a valuable addition to a resume or graduate school application.

4. How do I find a faculty mentor for independent study for lab work?

The first step is to identify a specific area of research that you are interested in. Then, reach out to faculty members in that department and express your interest in working with them on an independent study project. Be prepared to discuss your goals and ideas for the project, and be open to suggestions and guidance from the faculty member.

5. What is expected of me as a student in independent study for lab work?

As a student in independent study for lab work, you are expected to be self-motivated and take responsibility for your own learning. This includes designing and carrying out experiments, analyzing data, and presenting your findings. You should also communicate regularly with your faculty mentor and be open to feedback and guidance throughout the project.