India scientists dismiss Einstein theories

In summary, In the US, there is a lot of censorship of scientific findings that conflict with political views. There is also a recent example of a US National Parks scientific report that was censored because it mentioned human made climate change.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am confident that there are scientific nut cases in every country (there certainly are in the US) but usually they are fringe people or just crackpots. It has long amazed me the extent to which seemingly responsible people in India subscribe to ridiculous theories. I've had a couple of direct interactions that left me just astounded and shaking my head so hard it nearly fell off.

The latest examples:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46778879

and more:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-41344136It has certainly been my experience that the lead in the second part of that first link is true:
India has a mixed relationship with science.

Has anyone else here noticed, or directly experienced, this? I would be particularly interested in comments from natives of India.

And by the way, I'm very aware that there have been, and continue to be, numerous very highly respected scientists from India.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
The American Physical Society has a policy where any member can give a 15 minute talk. One consequence is that there is a special session convened, where what ends up being presented doesn't look too different than what is in those articles. So it may be a bit unfair to blame this on India.

Likes bhobba and jedishrfu
Vanadium 50 said:
The American Physical Society has a policy where any member can give a 15 minute talk. One consequence is that there is a special session convened, where what ends up being presented doesn't look too different than what is in those articles. So it may be a bit unfair to blame this on India.
Interesting. I was not aware of that. Thanks.

@phinds , I looked at the date of the BBC posts, but it is worth pointing out that the current government of India is headed by a political party (the BJP) founded on the notion of Hindu nationalism. I mention this because I wonder to myself if the scientists quoted in the article above mentioning ridiculous theories are themselves Hindu nationalists that have connections to the BJP party, and thus letting their socio-political views unduly influence their stance on science.

Let me explain. As a native from India, I know very well what is happening. Scientists in India, in no way, have a mixed relation with science. Science is science for them.

However, some political parties are using science and mixing it up with religion to give wrong meanings and are misinterpreting things. They are doing absolutely nonsensical things for publicity. And it seems nothing can stop them. Politics in India has taken a very bad shape. I believe anyone should stay out of these theories, as they are worse than crackpots. In India, proper scientists never mix up science and religions.

I cannot write about this too much. The Indian government has become serious and is checking almost every site which Indian IP addresses are visiting, especially forums. Journalists and writers have been jailed for criticising the government. In addition, discussion of politics is banned in PF as well. We have our elections for the Prime Minister this year, and the atmosphere is very tense. I won't go into any further discussion of politics in my country, but I assure you that science stays aloof from politics. These crackpots have been designed for publicity, and are supported by some blind followers, who have no knowledge in science.

@StatGuy2000 yes, you are right, but I won't elaborate on that. I do not want to land up behind the bars.

Likes bhobba, StatGuy2000, Ygggdrasil and 5 others
Wrichik Basu said:
but I assure you that science stays aloof from politics.
Whew! That's a relief... especially in light of the opposite problem here, i.e.some political views of science.

edit: or maybe it's the same problem

Tom.G said:
Whew! That's a relief... especially in light of the opposite problem here, i.e.some political views of science.

edit: or maybe it's the same problem
Misinterpretations of either science or religion can lead to bad consequences. Science certainly stays away from politics, but the reverse might not be true. This is something we are seeing recently. Since discussing politics is not allowed, I won't elaborate on that.

Addition: I have seen enough of dirty politics. Let's keep PF away from that to preserve its sanctity.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
I think Wrichik has a good point about it being spawned by politics and nationalism here and since we’ve covered those topics then I think it’s a good time to close this thread.

Thank you all for contributing here.

Lastly, There is a lot going on with respect to attacks on science around the world and here in the US. A recent podcast talked about the censure and revision of a US National Parks scientific report, four years in the making, removing any reference to human made climate change.

The author was asked to change her findings and she said no so others did while leaving her name on it. The report basically outlined the effects that rising water levels due to human made climate change will have on the various US National Parks and was codified into an interactive website for the public that has yet to be made available under the current administration.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman, StatGuy2000, Ygggdrasil and 3 others

What are some of the theories that have been dismissed by Indian scientists?

Indian scientists have dismissed some of Einstein's theories such as the theory of relativity and the theory of general relativity.

Why have Indian scientists dismissed Einstein's theories?

Indian scientists have dismissed Einstein's theories because they believe that they do not accurately explain certain phenomena, and they have proposed alternative theories.

What evidence do Indian scientists have to support their dismissal of Einstein's theories?

Indian scientists have conducted experiments and observations that contradict the predictions made by Einstein's theories. They have also found that their alternative theories can better explain these phenomena.

How do other scientists and the scientific community view the dismissal of Einstein's theories by Indian scientists?

The scientific community has mixed opinions about the dismissal of Einstein's theories by Indian scientists. Some support their alternative theories, while others criticize their dismissal of well-established theories without sufficient evidence.

Will the dismissal of Einstein's theories by Indian scientists have a significant impact on the scientific community?

It is unlikely that the dismissal of Einstein's theories by Indian scientists will have a significant impact on the scientific community. Einstein's theories have been extensively tested and verified by numerous experiments, and they continue to be the foundation of modern physics.