Induced current in a solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of the current through solenoids X and Y, and how a reduced resistance results in an increase of current. The use of equations such as I=V/R and B=unI is mentioned, as well as the application of Lenz's law and the right hand grip rule.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

Q.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer of 2c is : Current through A to the left.
But I think it is to the right.
By I=V/R, a reduced resistance R results in an increase of current through solenoid X. By B=unI, an increase in current causes the magnetic flux density to increase(where field lines point right). By lenz's law there will be an induced current in solenoid Y to produce a magnetic field opposite to the increase of magnetic field in X, which points from right to left. By right hand grip rule the current flows from left to right through the ammeter.
Why am I wrong. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. Part c is similar to part a.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
By I=V/R, a reduced resistance R results in an increase of current through solenoid X. By B=unI, an increase in current causes the magnetic flux density to increase(where field lines point right). By lenz's law there will be an induced current in solenoid Y to produce a magnetic field opposite to the increase of magnetic field in X, which points from right to left. By right hand grip rule the current flows from left to right through the ammeter.
Your reasoning sounds correct to me.

Likes Clara Chung

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

2. How is current induced in a solenoid?

Current is induced in a solenoid when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through it. This can be achieved by either moving the solenoid or by changing the current passing through it.

3. What factors affect the induced current in a solenoid?

The induced current in a solenoid is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the resistance of the wire.

4. How is the direction of induced current determined in a solenoid?

The direction of the induced current in a solenoid is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field, the fingers wrap around the coil in the direction of the current, and the palm points in the direction of the induced current.

5. What are some practical applications of induced current in a solenoid?

Induced current in a solenoid has many practical applications, such as in generators, motors, transformers, and inductive sensors. It is also used in electromagnetic devices, such as speakers and doorbells.