Induced EMF in a Triangle: Determining EMF and External Force

In summary: Your answer should be expressed as emf(x,t) and Fapp(x,t).In summary, the magnetic field B is going into the plane. The bar is moving to the right with velocity v. To maintain the uniform motion of the conductive bar, there must be an external force Fapp to pull the conductive bar. How much should Fapp be?
SataSata

Homework Statement

Magnetic Field B is going into the plane.
Bar is moving to the right with velocity v.
Neglect resistance of the conducting bar and all contacts.
a.) Determine the induced emf in the circuit.
b.) To maintain the uniform motion of the conductive bar, there must be an external force Fapp to pull the conductive bar. How much should Fapp be?
upload_2016-4-1_16-37-58.png

Homework Equations

Let the length of conducting bar in the triangle be ##l##
Hall Effect: ##emf = Blv ##
Faraday: ##emf = -d\Phi/dt##
##\Phi = BA##
##A=xl/2##
##l=xtan\theta##
##F_B=IlB##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Faraday's Law:
##emf = -d\Phi/dt = -BdA/dt##
##dA/dt = dA/dx \times dx/dt##
##dA/dt = vxtan\theta##
##\therefore emf = -Bvxtan\theta##
Or, Using Hall Effect:
##emf = Blv = Bvxtan\theta##
Next, ##F_app = -F_B##
## Current I = emf/R = -Bvxtan\theta/R##
##F_app= IlB = B^2vx^2tan^2\theta/R##

Can anybody check if my attempt is correct? Are all the negative signs correct?
Faraday's Law and Hall Effect give different signs. Which one is correct?
Fapp sign is supposed to be positive or negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
SataSata said:
Faraday's Law and Hall Effect give different signs. Which one is correct?
Depends on the unspecified direction of your current flow. You don't need that direction, however.
I would choose a positive sign for the force needed to pull the bar, which means the induction leads to a negative force. But that is just an aesthetic choice (have force and velocity with the same sign convention if v is positive), the physical direction of the force is given in the problem statement already.

Likes SataSata
Thank you for your reply mfb.
But is it right to express my answer in terms of x? Since x is a function of time, I can simply write it as x(t) and so emf and Fapp will both be a function of time too. However, the question simply asked for emf induced and Fapp, which caused me to doubt my answers.
In a non-triangle shape like a rectangle that's extending in length, the breadth is a constant and hence I can write my answer with it. But in this case, all sides of the triangle are varying and so I'm not sure how to express my answers.

Well, both depend on time here. Expressing them as function of x or t should be fine.

Likes SataSata

1. What is Induced EMF in a Triangle?

Induced EMF (Electromotive Force) in a Triangle refers to the phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a closed triangular loop.

2. How is Induced EMF in a Triangle calculated?

Induced EMF in a Triangle can be calculated using the formula E = -N * (dΦ/dt), where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the triangle, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the triangle.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of Induced EMF in a Triangle?

The magnitude of Induced EMF in a Triangle is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the area of the triangle, and the rate of change of the magnetic field.

4. What are some real-life applications of Induced EMF in a Triangle?

Induced EMF in a Triangle is commonly used in devices such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in electromagnetic induction cooktops and wireless charging systems.

5. How does Induced EMF in a Triangle relate to Faraday's Law of Induction?

Induced EMF in a Triangle is a direct result of Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a closed loop. In a triangle, the changing magnetic field induces an electric current in each side of the loop, resulting in the triangular shape of the induced EMF.