Metal bar on rails, induced emf

In summary, a metal bar with length L, mass m, and resistance R is placed on frictionless metal rails inclined at an angle α above the horizontal. The top end of the rails are connected with a conducting wire, with negligible resistance. The rails are embedded in a uniform magnetic field B perpendicular to the plane in which the rails sit. The bar is released from rest and slides down the rails. The magnitude of the induced emf on the loop after a generic time τ, shorter than the time required to reach the terminal velocity, can be determined by solving the equation mx''=mgsin(α)-F(v). The velocity-dependent electromagnetic force, F(v), can be found by solving the equation dv/dt=Av+B
subzero0137
A metal bar with length L, mass m, and resistance R is placed on frictionless metal rails that
are inclined at an angle α above the horizontal. The top end of the rails are connected with a
conducting wire. The resistance of the rails and wire are negligible. The rails are embedded in a
uniform magnetic field B perpendicular to the plane in which the rails sit. The bar is released from
rest and slides down the rails. Determine the magnitude of the induced emf on the loop after a generic time τ , shorter than the time required to reach the terminal velocity.

I know that [itex]|\epsilon|=\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/itex], where in this case [itex]d\phi=BdA=BL\frac{g}{2}sin(\alpha)\tau^{2}[/itex] and [itex]dt=\tau[/itex], so [itex]|\epsilon|=BL\frac{g}{2}sin(\alpha)\tau[/itex]. But it doesn't seem right to me because at some point, the bar will reach terminal velocity, which means the bar must be decelerating and I haven't taken that into account because I don't know how to. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi subzero0137! :smile:
subzero0137 said:
… the bar must be decelerating and I haven't taken that into account …

the acceleration will be less than gsinα

because the constant gravitational component of force is opposed by the velocity-dependent electromagnetic force :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi subzero0137! :smile:

the acceleration will be less than gsinα

because the constant gravitational component of force is opposed by the velocity-dependent electromagnetic force :wink:

I see. But how would I account for that? Would the acceleration simply be gsin(α)-F(v)? I don't know what F(v) is...

subzero0137 said:
I don't know what F(v) is...

you have mx'' equals a function of x' …

write the equation out, and solve it! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
you have mx'' equals a function of x' …

write the equation out, and solve it! :smile:

Sorry, I'm confused now. Is mx'' the overall force? If yes, shouldn't it be mx''=mgsin(α)-F(x')?

subzero0137 said:
…shouldn't it be mx''=mgsin(α)-F(x')?

your RHS is a function of x' :smile:

tiny-tim said:
your RHS is a function of x' :smile:

Ohh, of course :tongue:

But when you say "solve it", do you mean solve the differential equation? Because my class hasn't solved diff equations of that form yet.

it's something like dv/dt = Av + B, or dv/(Av + B) = dt …

can you solve that? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
it's something like dv/dt = Av + B, or dv/(Av + B) = dt …

can you solve that? :smile:

It'll be (1/A)ln(Av+B)=t+C, but I don't know how to use that result in this question :confused:

subzero0137 said:
Determine the magnitude of the induced emf on the loop after a generic time τ , shorter than the time required to reach the terminal velocity.

subzero0137 said:
It'll be (1/A)ln(Av+B)=t+C, but I don't know how to use that result in this question :confused:

(or Av+B = AoeAt)

that gives you v as a function of t, from which you can get the induced emf :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(or Av+B = AoeAt)

that gives you v as a function of t, from which you can get the induced emf :smile:

But what are the constants A, Ao and B, and how does v as a function of t give me F(v)? Sorry if I'm being difficult, but I genuinely don't understand. Wouldn't F(v)=BIL, where I=BLv/R?

write out the equation properly, and solve it (using v(0) = 0), and all that should become clear :smile:

(and now I'm off to bed :zzz:)​

tiny-tim said:
write out the equation properly, and solve it (using v(0) = 0), and all that should become clear :smile:

(and now I'm off to bed :zzz:)​

Which equation, F=(v(BL)^2)/R or Av+B=Ao*e^AT? Before you go, can you please tell me what F(v) should be? I can't do other parts of the question if I don't get past this point...

What is a metal bar on rails?

A metal bar on rails is a simple electrical circuit consisting of a metal bar, usually made of copper, and a set of parallel rails made of conductive material. The metal bar slides along the rails, creating a closed loop circuit.

What is induced emf?

Induced emf, or electromotive force, is the voltage or electrical potential difference that is generated in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This can be seen in the metal bar on rails experiment, where the movement of the bar through the magnetic field induces an emf in the circuit.

How is induced emf calculated?

The induced emf in a circuit can be calculated using Faraday's Law, which states that the magnitude of the induced emf is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit. It can be represented by the equation E = -dΦ/dt, where E is the induced emf, Φ is the magnetic flux, and t is time.

What factors affect the induced emf in a metal bar on rails?

The induced emf in a metal bar on rails experiment can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the bar's movement, the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the bar, and the orientation of the bar with respect to the magnetic field. Additionally, the type of material used for the bar and rails can also have an impact on the induced emf.

What are some real-life applications of induced emf?

Induced emf has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in devices like induction cooktops and wireless charging stations. Additionally, the concept of induced emf is essential in understanding the operation of many electrical devices and systems.