Induction Motor's Speed at Maximum Torque

In summary, maximum torque occurs when R2=sX2. Resistance must be added to the rotor circuit to give the maximum starting torque.
Michael Neo
Homework Statement
A two-pole, wound rotor, induction motor has a rotor resistance of 0.8 ohms per phase and a rotor leakage reactance of 7 ohms.

At what speed will the motor produce maximum torque when fed from a 50 Hz supply?
Relevant Equations
Torque is maximum when R2=sX2

For maximum torque, X2=R2/s

Therefore, s=R2/X2

Synchronous speed, ns=F*60/p (rev min-1)
Maximum Slip

s=4/35

Synchronous Speed

ns=50*60/p

ns=3000 rev min-1

Speed at Maximum Torque

Torque is maximum when R2=sX2

For maximum torque, X2=R2/s

I'm not sure after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Speed at Maximum Torque

ns*(1-s)

(3000)*(1-0.1142857143)
(3000)*(0.8857142857)

=2657.142857 rev min-1

What is p ?

p=number of pole pairs

There are two poles.

Therefore, p=1

Number of pairs...thanks. As a former engineering prof, I would also ask why you think it necessary to report 9 significant figures in your calculations, but that is a different discussion...

Likes 2milehi
The number of significant figures or decimal places required is not specified.

Understood...but I have found it useful always to only worry about the significant parts of every problem...consider it a small mental discipline so you don't "miss the forest for the trees".

Likes 2milehi
If maximum torque occurs when R2 = sX2, what resistance must be added to the rotor circuit to give maximum starting torque?

s=1 at standstill.
X2=7 at standstill.
R2=0.8 at standstill.

If maximum torque occurs when R2=sX2

Then, at standstill,
R2=(1)X2

Therefore,
R2=X2

Resistance added to give maximum starting torque

At standstill, the maximum starting torque occurs when,
R2=X2

However, not equal,
R2=0.8
X2=7

Therefore, calculate what must be added to make them equal.

0.8 + 6.2 = 7

Therefore,

6.2 Ohms must be added to make them equal and, therefore, give the maximum starting torque.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
Michael Neo said:
6.2 Ohms must be added to make them equal and, therefore, give the maximum starting torque.
I find that statement a bit unclear. Can someone clarify?
Is it 1., 2., or both?
  1. The maximum torque the motor can supply occurs at start-up
  2. This maximizes the torque available at start-up

I interpreted the question to mean the maximum torque available at start-up. So, statement 2.

I used the phrase in the question "...give maximum starting torque" to avoid ambiguity and used the phrase "...to make them equal" to help anyone else with a similar question understand.

This might be clearer:

6.2 Ohms resistance must be added to the rotor circuit to give maximum starting torque.

Again, I've used the phrase used in the question, but nothing else.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
The maximum torque value does not depend on rotor resistance then if you add 6.2 ohm to rotor resistance the maximum torque will remain unchanged but the point in where this maximum occurs [the slip s] will change. If you will add 6.2 ohm this point will be at s=1 [at starting point].

1. What is the maximum speed of an induction motor at maximum torque?

The maximum speed of an induction motor at maximum torque is known as the synchronous speed. This speed is determined by the frequency of the power supply and the number of poles in the motor. For a 60 Hz power supply, the synchronous speed of a 4-pole motor would be 1800 rpm.

2. How does the speed of an induction motor change at different torque levels?

The speed of an induction motor is inversely proportional to the torque. This means that as the torque increases, the speed of the motor decreases. At maximum torque, the motor will be operating at its lowest speed, known as the base speed.

3. Can an induction motor operate at a speed higher than its synchronous speed?

No, an induction motor cannot operate at a speed higher than its synchronous speed. This is because the rotor speed is always slightly slower than the synchronous speed, which is necessary for the motor to generate torque.

4. How do variable frequency drives (VFDs) affect the speed of an induction motor at maximum torque?

VFDs can control the speed of an induction motor at maximum torque by adjusting the frequency of the power supply. This allows the motor to operate at speeds lower than the synchronous speed, providing better control and efficiency.

5. What factors can affect the speed of an induction motor at maximum torque?

The speed of an induction motor at maximum torque can be affected by several factors, including the frequency of the power supply, the number of poles in the motor, the load on the motor, and the efficiency of the motor. Temperature and voltage fluctuations can also impact the speed of the motor.