Inductive Circuit and Frequency

In summary: I suspect that it is in series with the resistor and capacitor. In summary, a resistor and a capacitor are connected in series to a variable frequency supply, with an inductor in series with them. As the frequency of the supply increases, the inductive reactance increases and the current decreases. This results in an increase in voltage across the resistor, as the voltage needs to increase to maintain a constant total voltage. The voltage across the inductor decreases due to the decrease in current. This is because inductive reactance is a measure of how much a device "reacts" to conducting AC current, and it increases with frequency, causing the voltage across the inductor to decrease. The voltage across the resistor increases because the inductor limits the current
ah4p

Homework Statement

A resistor and a capacitor are connected in series to a variable frequency supply. A voltmerter is connected across the inductor and another across the resistor. The supply voltage is kept constant as frequency of supply is increased.
State and explain the changes in the readings on voltmeters across the inductor and across the resistor

Homework Equations

current is inversely proportional to frequency in an inductive circuit

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought across the inductor V decreases since I will decrease as a result of frequency increasing

therefore to keep total V constant the V across the resistor will increase

4. Actual ANSWER

the answer however is V across resistor increases because Inductive reactance increases & Current decreases

so V across inductor decreases

I've never been taught what inductive reactance means?

can anyone explain why this is the answer
thank you very much in advance :)
my prelim is on MOnday :( and I'm so failing

Physics news on Phys.org
First phrase says R series C ... the rest talks about L ... are there all 3, or just L?
reactance "X" is a "generalized resistance" ... how much (volt-wise) does the device "react" to conducting AC current?
V(AC) = I X
for a Resistor, XR = R , no matter what the frequency is.
for a capacitor, XC = 1/ωC ... since small amount of charge collects in short time, at high frequency.
for an inductor, XL = ωL ... since the current changes more rapidly at high frequency.

You have R series L, so they have the same current;
what happens to the Resistor's voltage, if the current is limited by the inductor (at high frequency)?

lightgrav said:
First phrase says R series C ... the rest talks about L ... are there all 3, or just L?
reactance "X" is a "generalized resistance" ... how much (volt-wise) does the device "react" to conducting AC current?
V(AC) = I X
for a Resistor, XR = R , no matter what the frequency is.
for a capacitor, XC = 1/ωC ... since small amount of charge collects in short time, at high frequency.
for an inductor, XL = ωL ... since the current changes more rapidly at high frequency.You have R series L, so they have the same current;
what happens to the Resistor's voltage, if the current is limited by the inductor (at high frequency)?

oh it would increase since the electrons require more energy to move through it??

thanks for replying

ah4p said:
4. Actual ANSWER

the answer however is V across resistor increases because Inductive reactance increases & Current decreases

so V across inductor decreases
Unfortunately, this cannot be the correct answer. It is contradictory in itself. Please check whether you have transcribed this incorrectly.

You haven't answered lightgrav's question: does this problem involve a series R + C or a series R + L. You have mentioned both, probably a careless mistake due to haste, or you may be mixing up two separate questions.

You did not describe the position of the inductor in the circuit.

1. What is an inductive circuit?

An inductive circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains inductance, which is the property of a component to store energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How does an inductive circuit work?

An inductive circuit works by using inductors, which are components made of coiled wire, to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. When current flows through the inductor, the magnetic field changes, creating an opposing voltage that limits the flow of current in the circuit.

3. What is the frequency of an inductive circuit?

The frequency of an inductive circuit refers to the rate at which the current alternates direction. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is determined by the values of the inductance and capacitance in the circuit.

4. How does frequency affect an inductive circuit?

The frequency of an inductive circuit affects its behavior in several ways. As the frequency increases, the inductance of the circuit decreases, allowing more current to flow. Additionally, higher frequencies can cause the inductor to resonate with the capacitor in the circuit, resulting in a higher voltage across the inductor.

5. What are some practical applications of inductive circuits?

Inductive circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics, including power supplies, filters, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in devices such as transformers, motors, and generators. Inductive circuits are essential in transmitting and receiving radio signals, making them crucial components in communication technology.