Question about the properties of inductive circuits?

In summary, the discussion centers around understanding inductance better for a prelim exam. It is stated that the back emf in an inductive circuit is equal to the voltage across the inductor, and that increasing the number of turns in the coil leads to a greater back emf and smaller maximum current. The question of how the number of turns affects the time taken to reach maximum current is also raised, with the suggestion that more turns will increase the induced back emf and thus require more time to reach maximum current. It is also mentioned that removing the core from an inductor will not affect maximum current, but will decrease inductance and back emf, resulting in a shorter time to reach maximum current. The conversation concludes with a
ah4p
I'm studying for my prelim and am trying to understand inductance better based on some questions I have done I've come up with these statements can anyone confirm they are true

the back emf in an inductive circuit at any given time equal to the voltage across the inductor
I initially thought you had to subtract the voltage across the inductor from the supply voltage to find back emfthe more turns in the coil of wire the greater the back emf and the smaller the maximum current

there was a question on how the increasing the number of turns will affect the time taken to reach the maximum current
My guess is that the increased number of turns will increase the induced back emf thus there is more resistance to current so it will take longer to reach its maximum
since back emf = -L dI/dt

also
if you remove the core from an inductor there will be no effect on maximum current but the inductance and back emf are both reduced so the time to reach max. current is smaller

thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread re-opened. Please post questions like this in the HH, Intro Physics forum. The Advanced Physics HH forum is for upper-division and graduate level questions. Thanks. :-)

Also, please do not delete the HH Template that you are provided when starting new threads. Your post above is very confusing without the Template. It is hard to tell what the questions are, and what your answers are. Can you please be more clear about what are the questions and what are your proposed answers? Thanks.

1. What is an inductive circuit?

An inductive circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains inductors, which are passive electronic components that store energy in the form of a magnetic field. Inductive circuits are commonly used in electronics and power systems.

2. How does an inductive circuit work?

An inductive circuit works by using inductors to create a magnetic field that opposes changes in current. When the current in the circuit changes, the inductor produces a voltage that counteracts the change. This allows inductive circuits to regulate and stabilize the flow of current.

3. What are the properties of inductive circuits?

The properties of inductive circuits include the ability to store energy in a magnetic field, resist changes in current, and create a back EMF (electromotive force) when current changes. Inductive circuits also have a characteristic called inductance, which is measured in henrys (H).

4. What are some common uses of inductive circuits?

Inductive circuits are commonly used in electronic devices, such as speakers, motors, and generators. They are also used in power systems to regulate and control the flow of electricity. Inductive circuits are also important components in many types of sensors and transducers.

5. What are the differences between inductive and capacitive circuits?

Inductive circuits use inductors to store energy in a magnetic field, while capacitive circuits use capacitors to store energy in an electric field. Inductive circuits are better at regulating and stabilizing current, while capacitive circuits are better at storing and releasing energy quickly. Additionally, inductive circuits create a back EMF when current changes, while capacitive circuits do not.