Industrial Ovens and Vent location?

• Appliances
  • Thread starter TapNdiE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industrial
In summary, the vent should be located near the floor on the bottom 8" somewhere on the perimeter of the oven, in order to allow fresh combustion air in and exhaust gases out.
TapNdiE
I build large ovens for powder coating. And exhaust vent location on ovens has always been an argued topic. Some people or companies use forced air propane/gas heaters, with fans that blow 30 CFM to 1450 CFM into almost air tight ovens. These ovens range in size from 4Lx4Wx8H' to 15Lx8Wx8H'. Some ovens have the vents located near the floor on the bottom 8" somewhere on the perimeter of the oven, and others have them located on the ceiling somewhere. For combustion gases to leave the oven the best way possible without loosing too much heat in the process, I'm left wandering, Where the heck does the vent need to be located?

Please help me solve this once and for all. Hopefully I am posting this is the correct place, if not maybe some direction on where to go?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230105_160858.jpg
    20230105_160858.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 10x4x6.jpg
    10x4x6.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 107
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @TapNdiE !
As long as those fans are forcing fresh combustion air in and exhaust gases out, I would say that there is no much difference.
A huge amount of combustion heat will escape with the exhaust gases either way.
The oven with the lower vents may reach and keep higher temperature of the half or third top of the interior volume.
Of course, I may be wrong. :smile:

TapNdiE said:
For combustion gases to leave the oven the best way possible without loosing too much heat in the process, I'm left wandering, Where the heck does the vent need to be located?
I also wondered about the economy of ovens for powder coating or rotary moulding.

The fan has two jobs, to inject the required heat, and to mix and circulate the gas in the oven.

Inject combustion gasses horizontally, low down and tangentially, so they circulate as they work their way up the outside, mixing. Then they slow and circulate down in the centre around the mould or item, which is heated evenly.

Vent exhaust downwards from the bottom, where the coolest gases would stagnate.

TapNdiE said:
I build large ovens for powder coating. And exhaust vent location on ovens has always been an argued topic. Some people or companies use forced air propane/gas heaters, with fans that blow 30 CFM to 1450 CFM into almost air tight ovens. These ovens range in size from 4Lx4Wx8H' to 15Lx8Wx8H'. Some ovens have the vents located near the floor on the bottom 8" somewhere on the perimeter of the oven, and others have them located on the ceiling somewhere. For combustion gases to leave the oven the best way possible without loosing too much heat in the process, I'm left wandering, Where the heck does the vent need to be located?

Please help me solve this once and for all. Hopefully I am posting this is the correct place, if not maybe some direction on where to go?
Thanks
Hello. What did you end up with for the exhaust and how is it working for you. I am at that stage of my build.

1. What is the optimal location for vents in an industrial oven?

The optimal location for vents in an industrial oven typically depends on the type of oven and the processes involved. Generally, vents should be placed where they can effectively remove fumes, heat, and byproducts of the process. This is often at the highest point of the oven or near the areas where the emissions are generated.

2. How does vent location impact the efficiency of an industrial oven?

Vent location can significantly impact the efficiency of an industrial oven. Properly placed vents ensure effective heat distribution, maintain consistent temperature, and remove excess humidity and pollutants. This not only improves the quality of the output but also reduces energy consumption by maintaining optimal operating conditions.

3. Are there specific regulations regarding vent location in industrial ovens?

Yes, there are specific regulations regarding vent location in industrial ovens, which vary by region and the specific application of the oven. These regulations are often related to safety, environmental standards, and worker health. It's important to consult local guidelines and possibly a professional engineer to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and standards.

4. Can the vent location affect product quality in industrial ovens?

Yes, the vent location can directly affect product quality in industrial ovens. Improper venting can lead to uneven temperature zones within the oven, which can cause inconsistent cooking, baking, or drying. Proper vent placement helps in maintaining a uniform temperature and atmosphere, crucial for achieving consistent quality in the finished products.

5. How often should vents be inspected and maintained in industrial ovens?

Vents in industrial ovens should be inspected and maintained regularly to ensure they are functioning correctly and not obstructed. The frequency of inspections can depend on the oven’s usage, the materials processed, and the specific operational environment. Typically, a routine check every 3 to 6 months is advisable, with immediate attention if any significant changes in oven performance or output quality are noticed.