Industry Relying on Open Source Software for Linux

In summary, industry relies on open source ware for a lot of projects. Open source FEA software is not typically used in industry, but there are some popular options.
Winzer
Just how does industry rely on open source ware?
This probably depends on the industry of course.

I ask this because there is a lot of neat open source stuff-- I am looking in the direction of finite element.
I really would like to learn a FEM and FEA program. Should I learn an open source program or a more popular industrial program?

--Edit: I forgot to mention that the program should be for linux. But mentioning one's for windows is ok.

Physics news on Phys.org
No takers?

You might as well learn an open source one at home. Usually its a good start to learning programming as well, as the source is readily modifiable and extendable.

Having said that, open source FEA is very rarely used in industry. Anything not purchased will typically be created in-house.

Ok. So what is some of the most popular software for FEA and FEM in the industry?
I know COMSOL PHYSICS is one.

I use ANSYS, although its quite expensive. I hear COMSOL is much cheaper, so if you're going in just to learn, a COMSOL student license is probably significantly cheaper.

i would say GeoSTAR. its the program we used in my fea class and from the looks of it.. its probably cheap lol, but it gets the job done.

ANSYS, ABAQUS(now SIMULIA, the Dassault Systèmes brand for Realistic Simulation), and NASTRAN are the three popular FEA codes.

Most FEA applications in industry is done under some QA/QC system so open source is not used. The code and its application have to be approved in the nuclear and aerospace industries.

http://www.ansys.com/
http://www.simulia.com/

NASTRAN is perculiar because there are now several developers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nastran#NASTRAN_Options

COMSOL is a newbie to the field.
http://www.comsol.com/

All of them seem to have some academic licensing arrangement. Check with one's university or MechEng/AeroEng departments.

1. What is open source software and why is it important for industry?

Open source software is software that is freely available to use, modify, and distribute. It is important for industry because it allows companies to access high-quality software without having to pay expensive licensing fees. It also promotes collaboration and innovation within the industry.

2. How does the use of open source software benefit the Linux operating system?

Open source software has played a crucial role in the development and growth of the Linux operating system. By relying on open source software, Linux is able to constantly evolve and improve with the help of a large community of developers. This results in a more secure, stable, and customizable operating system.

3. What are the potential risks of relying on open source software for industry?

One potential risk is the lack of official support for open source software. This means that companies may have to rely on community support or hire external experts for assistance. Additionally, there is a risk of encountering compatibility issues between different open source software components.

4. How do companies manage and maintain open source software in their infrastructure?

Companies can manage and maintain open source software by implementing proper governance and processes. This includes regularly updating and patching software, monitoring for security vulnerabilities, and having a clear system for tracking and managing different open source components.

5. What are some success stories of companies using open source software for Linux?

Some notable success stories include Google, which relies heavily on open source software for its infrastructure, and Facebook, which has built its own operating system based on open source technologies. Other companies such as Netflix, Amazon, and IBM also heavily utilize open source software for their operations.