Inelastic collision in opposite directions: KE lost & angular momentum

In summary, two boys with masses of 45 kg and 31 kg, moving at 7.98 m/s and 10.7 m/s, respectively, collide on a frictionless, ice-covered parking lot. When they meet and grab each other, only 0.154 of their original kinetic energy remains as mechanical energy. When they repeat the collision with the same original velocities, but along parallel lines 1.10 m apart, they start rotating about their common center of mass with an angular speed of 17 rad/s. To solve this problem, the equations for kinetic energy and angular speed were used, along with the principles of momentum conservation and rotational inertia.
vaxxa
1. The problem statement.
Two boys are sliding toward each other on a frictionless, ice-covered parking lot. Jacob, mass 45 kg, is gliding to the right at 7.98 m/s, and Ethan, mass 31.0 kg, is gliding to the left at 10.7 m/s along the same line. When they meet, they grab each other and hang on.
a.) What fraction of their original kinetic energy is still mechanical energy after their collision?

That was so much fun that the boys repeat the collision with the same original velocities, this time moving along parallel lines 1.10 m apart. At closest approach, they lock arms and start rotating about their common center of mass. Model the boys as particles and their arms as a cord that does not stretch.
b.) What is their angular speed?

2. Homework Equations .
a.) KEinitial = 1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2
KEfinal = 1/2(m1+m2)v3^2
b.) w = L/I
L =mvr
I =mr^2

3. Attempt at solution.
a.)1/2(45)(7.98)^2 + 1/2(31)(10.7)^2=3,207.41J
1/2(45+31)(0.361)^2=0.901J
0.901J/3,207.41J = 2.81 x 10^-4, but the given answer is 0.154. I've absolutely no clue how they arrived at that. I need to know how to solve it for my quiz.

b.)
I know w=L/I, but I don't know how that will help. I'm confused as to how to find the rotational inertia (I), among other things. I believe it's mr^2. Using L=mvr and I=mr^2, I get:
L=(76kg)(0.361m/s)(.55m)^2=15.09
I=76kg(.55m)^2=23
so when 15.09/23=0.66, but the given answer is 17! How in the world do I find that? Clearly written, step-by-step directions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vaxxa said:
1/2(45+31)(0.361)^2=0.901J
Check the arithmetic
L=(76kg)(0.361m/s)(.55m)^2=15.09
The 0.361m/s is for part a. It does not apply to part b.
For part b, consider the line taken by their common mass centre before they meet. How far is each boy from that? What is their combined moment about a point on that line?

Where did v3 = 0.361 m/s come from?

rude man said:
Where did v3 = 0.361 m/s come from?
The working was not shown, but I confirm it is correct from momentum conservation in part a.

haruspex said:
The working was not shown, but I confirm it is correct from momentum conservation in part a.

I should have realized that. Thanks.

Related to Inelastic collision in opposite directions: KE lost & angular momentum

1. What is an inelastic collision in opposite directions?

An inelastic collision in opposite directions is a type of collision where two objects collide and stick together, moving in opposite directions after the collision. This is in contrast to an elastic collision, where the objects bounce off each other and continue moving in their original directions.

2. How is kinetic energy lost in an inelastic collision in opposite directions?

In an inelastic collision in opposite directions, some of the kinetic energy of the two objects is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat, sound, or deformation of the objects. This results in a decrease in the total kinetic energy of the system.

3. Why is angular momentum conserved in an inelastic collision in opposite directions?

Angular momentum is conserved in an inelastic collision in opposite directions because there is no external torque acting on the system. This means that the initial angular momentum of the system must be equal to the final angular momentum, even if there is a change in the objects' velocities and positions.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities of the objects in an inelastic collision in opposite directions?

The final velocities of the objects can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy. First, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. Then, the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is equal to the sum of the kinetic energies of the two objects after the collision. These equations can be solved to find the final velocities.

5. What are the real-life applications of inelastic collisions in opposite directions?

Inelastic collisions in opposite directions are commonly seen in sports, such as when a baseball hits a bat or when two players collide while playing soccer. They are also important in engineering, where they can be used to design car bumpers and safety mechanisms for absorbing impact energy in accidents.