Inelastic collision of ball and rod - rotation problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angular velocity of a uniform rod after a particle hits it at one end. The suggested approach is to use energy conservation and angular momentum conservation, but the choice of reference point for the angular momentum equation is important. The final solution is found to be 6mu/(3m+M)L.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of mass M and length l is hinged at the center. a particle of mass m and speed u sticks after hitting the end of the rod. find the angular velocity of the rod just after collision

Homework Equations

Energy conservation-0.5mu^2=0.5(m+M)v^2
Angular momentum conservation about hinge-muL/2=MoI about COM*angular velocity
CoM=m1x1+m2x2/m1+m2

The Attempt at a Solution

Can we apply energy conservation since the hinge isn't specified to be frictionless?
I'm sure we can conserve angular momentum about hinge though, taking hinge as origin the CoM comes out to be at a distance mL/2(M+m) and moment of Inertia about CoM can be calculated using parallel axis theorem but this gives a lot of complicated terms. Is there a simpler way to solve this question then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need to calculate the COM?

The friction at the hinge is not your main problem
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
sticks after hitting the end of the rod
What does this tell you about the particle-rod collision?

Orodruin said:
The friction at the hinge is not your main problem

What does this tell you about the particle-rod collision?
Its purely inelastic, so we can't conserve total kinetic energy... but we can still write m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)v3. so mu=(M+m)v. but using v=Lω/2 gives an incorrect answer

PeroK said:
Why do you need to calculate the COM?
to apply initial angular momentum=Iω. I is about CoM

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
to apply initial angular momentum=Iω. I is about CoM

You did ask

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Is there a simpler way to solve this question then?

Let me rephrase my question: Do you really need to calculate the COM?

PeroK said:
You did ask
Let me rephrase my question: Do you really need to calculate the COM?
could I write Iω about hinge for the sytem, then add Mv(com)*distance of com (for rod)+ mv*distance of com(for particle) instead? I'd still have to find the CoM though, I don't see any other way

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
could I write Iω about hinge for the sytem, then add Mv(com)*distance of com (for rod)+ mv*distance of com(for particle) instead? I'd still have to find the CoM though, I don't see any other way

True or false:

The rod has an angular momentum.
The mass has an angular momentum.
The angular momentum of the rod-mass system is the sum of the two, regardless of whether they are stuck together or not?

Also a warning: The CoM is a very bad choice for a reference point here. Due to the forces at the hinge, the angular momentum about the CoM will not be conserved.

PeroK said:
True or false:

The rod has an angular momentum.
The mass has an angular momentum.
The angular momentum of the rod-mass system is the sum of the two, regardless of whether they are stuck together or not?
True! Oh, how silly of me. That was amazingly simple, I was just overthinking it. I got the correct answer as 6mu/(3m+M)L, Thank you very much :D

Likes PeroK
Orodruin said:
Also a warning: The CoM is a very bad choice for a reference point here. Due to the forces at the hinge, the angular momentum about the CoM will not be conserved.
Ohh, I was under the impression that for a combined system we always need to write I about CoM while using initial AM=Iω. but adding them separately makes a lot of sense as I now discovered

If you want to use conservation of angular momentum, then you need to write down your angular momentum equations relative to a point around which the torque is zero.

Orodruin said:
If you want to use conservation of angular momentum, then you need to write down your angular momentum equations relative to a point around which the torque is zero.
ok, I understand- thank you

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the kinetic energy of the objects involved is not conserved. This means that some of the energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects.

2. How does the collision of a ball and rod differ from other types of collisions?

In the collision of a ball and rod, there is both translational and rotational motion involved. This means that the objects not only move in a straight line, but also rotate around their own axis.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an inelastic collision between a ball and rod?

The mass, velocity, and moment of inertia of the objects involved can affect the outcome of the collision. Additionally, the angle and point of impact can also play a role in the resulting motion.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities and angular velocities in an inelastic collision of a ball and rod?

The final velocities and angular velocities can be calculated using the principle of conservation of momentum and conservation of angular momentum. This involves setting up equations to account for the initial and final states of the objects and solving for the unknown velocities.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying inelastic collisions of a ball and rod?

Understanding the principles of inelastic collisions can be useful in a variety of fields, such as sports, engineering, and physics. For example, it can help in designing safer sports equipment, analyzing car crashes, or studying the motion of celestial bodies.