Inelastic Collision with a Mass attached to a Rod

In summary, the smallest value of v sufficient to cause the pendulum (with embedded mass m) to swing clear over the top of its arc is (sqrt(gl)*(M+m))/m. To find this, the conservation of momentum equation is used along with the concept of potential energy at the top and kinetic energy just after the collision.
yellowcakepie

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a mass M hanging at the bottom end of a massless rod of length l, which has a frictionless pivot at its top end. A mass m, moving as shown in the figure with velocity v impacts M and becomes embedded.

GIANCOLI.ch09.p050.jpg

What is the smallest value of v sufficient to cause the pendulum (with embedded mass m) to swing clear over the top of its arc?

Homework Equations

p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer, but I do not understand the logic behind it.

I set mv = (M+m)v_f

then for some reason, I have to use the centripetal acceleration formula a = v_f^2/r which is g = v_f^2/l in our situation.

I find v_f then plug it into the first equation with conservation of momentum to get v = (sqrt(gl)*(M+m))/m.

But this is not the answer. I have to multiply by 2 to get the correct answer. Any explanations?

Attachments

• GIANCOLI.ch09.p050.jpg
    GIANCOLI.ch09.p050.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,964
Physics news on Phys.org
The vf in your equation mv = (M+m)v_f represents the velocity just after the collision when the two masses are still at the bottom of the circle.

Why set the centripetal acceleration equal to g?

Last edited:
TSny said:
The vf in your equation mv = (M+m)v_f represents the velocity just after the collision when the two masses are still at the bottom of the circle.

Why set the centripetal acceleration equal to g?

I don't know why. I saw an online solution and copied it.

So if we don't set it to g and just leave it as a, it would be a = (mv/(M+m))^2/l.

al = (mv)^2/(M+m)^2
al(M+m)^2 = (mv)^2
sqrt(al(M+m)^2) = mv

sqrt(al(M+m)^2)/m = v

But a is not given in the problem?

My hint would be to say that you don't need to use the concept of acceleration at all.

You used conservation of momentum for the collision, which is good. Can you think of any concept(s) that might be useful for relating the speed just after the collision to the speed at the top? This might be something you studied just previous to your study of momentum.

TSny said:
My hint would be to say that you don't need to use the concept of acceleration at all.

You used conservation of momentum for the collision, which is good. Can you think of any concept(s) that might be useful for relating the speed just after the collision to the speed at the top? This might be something you studied just previous to your study of momentum.

Speed at the top should be 0. So KE = 0 and PE = (m+M)g*2l.

yellowcakepie said:
Speed at the top should be 0. So KE = 0 and PE = (m+M)g*2l.
OK

yellowcakepie said:
Speed at the top should be 0.
TSny said:
OK

PE = (M+m)g*2l
p = mv = (M+m)v_f

(M+m) = mv/v_f (from the momentum equation)
2mvgl/v_f = PE

I don't know where I'm going from here...

Step back and think about what's going on with energy once the collision is over. What type(s) of energy does the system have just after the collision? Same question for at the top.

TSny said:
Step back and think about what's going on with energy once the collision is over. What type(s) of energy does the system have just after the collision? Same question for at the top.

It's going to have some kinetic energy at the bottom when they collide.

1/2mv^2 = 1/2(M+m)v_f^2 ? (but this is an inelastic collision)

yellowcakepie said:
It's going to have some kinetic energy at the bottom when they collide.

1/2mv^2 = 1/2(M+m)v_f^2 ? (but this is an inelastic collision)
Yes, the collision is inelastic. So, the kinetic energy after the collision is not equal to the kinetic energy before the collision. But you've already taken care of the collision using momentum conservation. That is, momentum conservation allows you to find the initial speed, v, of m if you know the final speed vf just after the collision. So, you can answer the question if you could somehow find vf. Try to find vf by considering energy changes in going from just after the collision to the point at the top.

1. What is an inelastic collision with a mass attached to a rod?

An inelastic collision with a mass attached to a rod is a type of collision in which two objects, one with a mass attached to a rod, collide and stick together after impact. This results in a loss of kinetic energy as the objects move together as one.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision with a mass attached to a rod?

In an inelastic collision with a mass attached to a rod, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. However, the individual momenta of the objects may change.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocity in an inelastic collision with a mass attached to a rod?

The equation for calculating the final velocity in an inelastic collision with a mass attached to a rod is:vf = (m1v1 + m2v2) / (m1 + m2) Where:vf = final velocity of the combined objectsm1 = mass of the first objectv1 = initial velocity of the first objectm2 = mass of the second objectv2 = initial velocity of the second object

4. Can the final velocity in an inelastic collision with a mass attached to a rod be greater than the initial velocity?

No, the final velocity in an inelastic collision with a mass attached to a rod cannot be greater than the initial velocity. This is because some of the kinetic energy is lost in the collision, resulting in a lower final velocity.

5. How does the length of the rod attached to the mass affect the outcome of an inelastic collision?

The length of the rod attached to the mass does not affect the outcome of an inelastic collision. This is because the moment of inertia of the rod is negligible compared to the moment of inertia of the two objects involved in the collision. Therefore, the length of the rod does not significantly impact the overall motion of the system.