Inequality question -- Need help getting started...

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary: Amen! Mathematics is very cumulative. Anything that you were taught earlier will be used over and over in what follows. It can be very beneficial to review earlier material until it becomes natural to you.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1679620253187.png

I am confused how to show that they are equivalent. Can some please give me some guidance?

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is always the first step when absolute values are involved? Two cases for |x-a|, depending on the sign of x-a.
Where can you go from there?

Likes MatinSAR and ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
What is always the first step when absolute values are involved? Two cases for |x-a|, depending on the sign of x-a.
Where can you go from there?
Thanks for your reply @FactChecker!

First case is

-(x - a)

Second case is

x - a

Right. Now you need to show some work using that.

Likes MatinSAR and ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
Right. Now you need to show some work using that.
Thanks @FactChecker!

##0 < -(x - a) < \delta##
##0 < x - a <\delta##

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thanks @FactChecker!

##0 < -(x - a) < \delta##
##0 < x - a <\delta##

Many thanks!
Nevermind, I understand now. It seems so strange that you can multiply all three sides of an equality by the same number. I don't know what this property is called thought.

Callumnc1 said:
I am confused how to show that they are equivalent. Can some please give me some guidance?
For the continued inequality ##0 < |x - a| < \delta##, it's helpful to draw a sketch or two of the number line with a in an arbitrary position. x will then have to be somewhere inside a band of width ##2\delta## around a, but excluding a itself.
Callumnc1 said:
Nevermind, I understand now. It seems so strange that you can multiply all three sides of an equality by the same number. I don't know what this property is called thought.
The statement you started with is not an equation -- it's an inequality. There is a property of equations that you can multiply both sides of an equation by any nonzero number to get a new, equivalent equation. This idea can be extended to a continued equation.

There is a similar property for inequalities, but with a twist. You can multiply both sides of an inequality by a positive number to get a new, equivalent inequality. This also can be extended to continued inequalities. The twist is that if you multiply both sides by a negative number, the direction of the inequality must change.

Yet again, the very large gaps in your mathematical background are causing you to spend a lot of time merely trying to understand what would be immediately obvious to someone who didn't have these gaps.

Likes ChiralSuperfields, SammyS and FactChecker
Mark44 said:
Yet again, the very large gaps in your mathematical background are causing you to spend a lot of time merely trying to understand what would be immediately obvious to someone who didn't have these gaps.
Amen! Mathematics is very cumulative. Anything that you were taught earlier will be used over and over in what follows. It can be very beneficial to review earlier material until it becomes natural to you.

Likes ChiralSuperfields

What is inequality?

Inequality refers to the unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, and privileges among individuals or groups in a society.

What are the main causes of inequality?

The main causes of inequality are often rooted in systemic issues such as discrimination, unequal access to education and healthcare, and economic policies that favor the wealthy.

How does inequality affect society?

Inequality can have negative impacts on society, including increased crime rates, political instability, and decreased social mobility.

What are some solutions to address inequality?

Some solutions to address inequality include implementing policies that promote equal access to education and healthcare, increasing the minimum wage, and implementing progressive taxation.

What role does the government play in addressing inequality?

The government plays a crucial role in addressing inequality by implementing policies and programs that promote equal opportunities and redistribute wealth to reduce the gap between the rich and the poor.