Inertia matrix from orbital angular momentum of the ith element (please check)

In summary, the orbital angular momentum of the ith element of mass is used to derive the inertia matrix $I$ such that $\vec{L} = I\vec{\omega}$, with the elements of $I$ given by $I_{ii} = m_i~\vec{r}_i \cdot \vec{r}_i$, where $\vec{r}_i$ and $\vec{\omega}$ are defined to be perpendicular and can be functions of position or time. This solution is of the form $ \begin{bmatrix}L_1\\L_2\\L_3\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}I_{11}&I_{12}&I_{13}\\I
ognik
Starting with the orbital angular momentum of the ith element of mass, $ \vec{L}_I = \vec{r}_I \times \vec{p}_I = m_i \vec{r}_i \times \left( \omega \times \vec{r}_i\right) $, derive the inertia matrix such that
$\vec{L} =I\omega, |\vec{L} \rangle = I |\vec{\omega} \rangle $

I used a X b X c = -c X a X b:

$ \vec{L}_i = -m_i \left( \vec{r}_i \times \vec{r}_i \times \omega \right) $

Using bac-cab, $ \vec{L}_i = -m_i \left( \vec{r}_i \left( \vec{r}_i \cdot \omega \right) -\vec{\omega}\left( \vec{r}_i \cdot\vec{r}_i \right) \right)$ and $\vec{r}_i \cdot \vec{\omega} = 0$ (orthogonal), so $ \vec{L}_I = m_i \left( \vec{\omega}\left( \vec{r}_i \cdot\vec{r}_i \right) \right)$ and $ I =m_i \vec{r}^2_i $ ...

That look right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Starting with the orbital angular momentum of the ith element of mass, $ \vec{L}_I = \vec{r}_I \times \vec{p}_I = m_i \vec{r}_i \times \left( \omega \times \vec{r}_i\right) $, derive the inertia matrix such that
$\vec{L} =I\omega, |\vec{L} \rangle = I |\vec{\omega} \rangle $

I used a X b X c = -c X a X b:

$ \vec{L}_i = -m_i \left( \vec{r}_i \times \vec{r}_i \times \omega \right) $

Using bac-cab, $ \vec{L}_i = -m_i \left( \vec{r}_i \left( \vec{r}_i \cdot \omega \right) -\vec{\omega}\left( \vec{r}_i \cdot\vec{r}_i \right) \right)$ and $\vec{r}_i \cdot \vec{\omega} = 0$ (orthogonal), so $ \vec{L}_I = m_i \left( \vec{\omega}\left( \vec{r}_i \cdot\vec{r}_i \right) \right)$ and $ I =m_i \vec{r}^2_i $ ...

That look right ?
Two comments. When you use I as the moment of inertia please exclusively (if you can) use i to indicate the ith particle. \(\displaystyle L_I\) is somewhat unclear. Also, you have a typo: The last expression should be \(\displaystyle \vec{L}_i = \vec{ \omega } ~ m_i ( \vec{r}_i \cdot \vec{r} _i )\).

-Dan

Hi - that I subscript is an annoying auto-correct in browsers (unless it is in this editor?) , which I haven't figured out how to turn off - normally I catch them all...

I am not sure my conclusion that $r_i$ and $\omega$ are orthog. is valid?

Please confirm, in that last expression, because $m_i$ is scalar it can be moved anywhere in the term?

This is a section on matrices & eigenvalues, so I'd like a matrix solution for I, something like $ \begin{bmatrix}L_1\\L_2\\L_3\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}I_{11}&I_{12}&I_{13}\\I_{21}&...\\...&&I_{33}\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}\omega_1\\ \omega_2\\ \omega_3\end{bmatrix} $ but I'm struggling to figure out the I elements from the 2 term eqtn I got (assuming r & $\omega$ orthog. that is)

ognik said:
I am not sure my conclusion that $r_i$ and $\omega$ are orthog. is valid?
Yeah, autocorrect features are a pain in the pahtootie.

\(\displaystyle \vec{r}\) and \(\displaystyle \vec{\omega}\) are defined to be perpendicular. Note though, that both can be functions of position or time.

ognik said:
Please confirm, in that last expression, because $m_i$ is scalar it can be moved anywhere in the term?
Correct.

ognik said:
This is a section on matrices & eigenvalues, so I'd like a matrix solution for I, something like $ \begin{bmatrix}L_1\\L_2\\L_3\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}I_{11}&I_{12}&I_{13}\\I_{21}&...\\...&&I_{33}\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}\omega_1\\ \omega_2\\ \omega_3\end{bmatrix} $ but I'm struggling to figure out the I elements from the 2 term eqtn I got (assuming r & $\omega$ orthog. that is)
You have one. Rewrite the expression as \(\displaystyle L_i = \left ( m_i \vec{r}_i \cdot \vec{r}_i \right ) \omega _i\). This is now of the form: \(\displaystyle \vec{L} = I \vec{\omega}\) where \(\displaystyle I_{ii} = m_i~ \vec{r}_i \cdot \vec{r}_i\), to be explicit. Since the matrix elements \(\displaystyle I_{ij}\), where i and j aren't equal, don't appear in the expressions then I is diagonal.

-Dan

Related to Inertia matrix from orbital angular momentum of the ith element (please check)

What is the definition of the inertia matrix?

The inertia matrix is a mathematical representation of the distribution of mass and density of an object in a three-dimensional space. It is used to calculate the object's resistance to changes in rotational motion.

How is the inertia matrix calculated?

The inertia matrix is calculated by multiplying the mass of each element of an object by its distance from the axis of rotation, squared, and then summing these values for all elements. This process is repeated for each axis of rotation, resulting in a 3x3 matrix.

What is the significance of orbital angular momentum in calculating the inertia matrix?

Orbital angular momentum is the rotational momentum of an object around an axis. When calculating the inertia matrix, the orbital angular momentum of each element is taken into account to accurately represent the object's rotational motion and resistance to changes in that motion.

How does the inertia matrix affect the movement of an object?

The inertia matrix affects the movement of an object by determining its moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. A larger inertia matrix means a greater moment of inertia, which results in a slower rate of rotational acceleration.

What factors can influence the values in an inertia matrix?

The values in an inertia matrix can be influenced by the mass and distribution of mass within an object, as well as the distance of each element from the axis of rotation. Changes in these factors can result in different values for the inertia matrix and affect an object's rotational motion.