Infinite product Π (n^3-1)/(n^3+1)

In summary, the infinite product \prod\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{{n^3 - 1}}{{n^3 + 1}}} = \frac{2}{3} is given as example 10 on Wolfram MathWorld. It is in the same class as examples 9, 11, 12, and 13, but its solution is remarkably simpler. The solution can be obtained by factoring out (n-1) in the numerator and (n+1) in the denominator, and then finding the partial products for (n-1)/(n+1) and (n^2+n+1)/(n^2-n+1).
marcelB612
On Wolfram MathWorld the following infinite product is given as example 10:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/InfiniteProduct.html

[tex]\prod\limits_{n = 2}^\infty {\frac{{n^3 - 1}}{{n^3 + 1}}} = \frac{2}{3}[/tex]

It is given along with examples 9, 11, 12, and 13 as being in the same class, and yet its solution is remarkably simpler than any of the others.

I'm very curious as to why this is, and how one would go about analytically proving the identity on Wolfram for example 10. There must be some simple trick that I'm missing that would give a simple formula for the kth partial product, but I'm just not seeing how to get that kth partial product formula out of it.

Any help?

Some algebraic manipulations that might help the thinking process:

[tex]\frac{n^3-1}{n^3+1} = 1 - \frac{2}{n^3+1} = \frac{n^3}{n^3+1} - \frac{1}{n^3+1}[/tex]p.s. A little bit of googling came up with this homework problem, which is pretty much the same as my question from an '05 Complex Analysis course: http://math.georgiasouthern.edu/~asills/teach/spr05/infprod.pdf , 1.c is the problem in question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I solved it, sorry for the premature post.

SPOILER ALERT:

It's fairly simple, actually, just factor out the (n-1) in the numerator and the (n+1) in the denominator, then do the partial products for (n-1)/(n+1) and (n^2+n+1)/(n^2-n+1) separately.

Note that (n+1) = ((n+2)-1) and that n^2+n+1 = (n+1)^2-(n+1)+1, so both terms cancel out.

(n-1)/(n+1) gives you a 2, (n^2+n+1)/(n^2-n+1) gives you a 1/3. So your product ends up 2/3.

Likes abcd_me

Related to Infinite product Π (n^3-1)/(n^3+1)

1. What is an infinite product?

An infinite product is a mathematical expression that involves an infinite number of terms being multiplied together. In this case, the infinite product Π (n^3-1)/(n^3+1) includes all positive integers n and the terms (n^3-1) and (n^3+1) are being multiplied together.

2. How is this infinite product different from a finite product?

A finite product involves a specific number of terms being multiplied together, while an infinite product involves an infinite number of terms. Additionally, the terms in an infinite product can vary based on the value of the variable n, while the terms in a finite product are fixed.

3. How is this infinite product used in mathematics?

Infinite products can be useful in various mathematical applications, such as in number theory, analysis, and probability. They can also be used in evaluating certain integrals and solving differential equations.

4. What is the value of this infinite product?

The value of this infinite product is known to be approximately 0.91596. It is a transcendental number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a finite combination of arithmetic operations and roots.

5. Is there a closed-form expression for this infinite product?

No, there is currently no known closed-form expression for this infinite product. However, it can be approximated to a desired degree of accuracy using numerical methods.