Infinite series Geometric series

In summary, the ball travels 18 m between the first bounce and the second bounce, and 27 m between the first bounce and the third bounce.
Pual Black

Homework Statement

hello
i have a question to this solved problem in the book

" Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering Third Edition K. F. RILEY, M. P. HOBSON and S.J. BENCE "
page 118

Consider a ball that drops from a height of 27 m and on each bounce retains only a third
of its kinetic energy; thus after one bounce it will return to a height of 9 m, after two
bounces to 3 m, and so on. Find the total distance traveled between the first bounce and
the Mth bounce.

Homework Equations

i have to use this equation
[tex]S_M=a \frac{1-r^M}{1-r}[/tex]
so [tex]a=9[/tex] because he wants the distance from the first bounce
if he just said " find the total distance " i have to put a=27 right?
the common ration is [tex]d=\frac{1}{3}[/tex]
the ball goes up and down so i have to multiply the sum by 2 to get the total distance
now
[tex]S_M=2*9 [\frac{1-(\frac{1}{3})^{M-1}}{1-\frac{1}{3}}][/tex]
[tex]S_M=27 [1-(\frac{1}{3})^{M-1}][/tex]

i only don't understand why he put (M-1) not just (M)

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought maybe if I just put M then the ball will bounce for last time and be hanging in the air.
but if i put M-1 then the ball will hit the ground and stop
right?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many return trips from ground to an apex up in the air are there between the 1st bounce and the M-th bounce?

andrewkirk said:
How many return trips from ground to an apex up in the air are there between the 1st bounce and the M-th bounce?
i think until the factor [tex](\frac{1}{3})^{M-1}[/tex] approaches zero
so I am not sure but may i put this factor to zero
[tex](\frac{1}{3})^{M-1}=0[/tex]
then i can calculate M
right?

andrewkirk said:
then i can calculate M
right?

Pual Black said:
then i can calculate M
right?

That equation is very easy to solve: its solution is ##M = + \infty##.

However, that equation has absolutely nothing to do with the original question. I suggest you re-read the problem.

Last edited:
Pual Black said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought maybe if I just put M then the ball will bounce for last time and be hanging in the air.
but if i put M-1 then the ball will hit the ground and stop
right?
Forget about the formula for a minute, and try working out what distance the ball travels between the first bounce and the second (M=2) bounce, the first bounce and the third (M=3) bounce, and so on. Once you see the pattern, write down the appropriate series for the Mth bounce, and then apply the sum formula to that series.

You should see your guesses about M vs. M-1 don't really make sense.

Likes Pual Black
vela said:
Forget about the formula for a minute, and try working out what distance the ball travels between the first bounce and the second (M=2) bounce, the first bounce and the third (M=3) bounce, and so on. Once you see the pattern, write down the appropriate series for the Mth bounce, and then apply the sum formula to that series.

You should see your guesses about M vs. M-1 don't really make sense.

the series is not difficult
[tex]S_M=a+ar^2+ar^3+...ar^M[/tex]
substituting my information
[tex]S_M=2[9+9\frac{1}{3}+9(\frac{1}{3})^2+...+9(\frac{1}{3})^M][/tex]

if i want the distance between the first bounce and the second bounce i have to calculate the first 2 terms of the series.

Pual Black said:
If i want the distance between the first bounce and the second bounce i have to calculate the first 2 terms of the series.
Really? After the first bounce, it reaches a height of 9 m, so the total distance is travels until the second bounce is 18 m. That's not equal to the sum of the first two terms of your series.

Likes Pual Black
Hey i get it. The distance traveled between the first bounce and the second bounce is just the first term.

The distance traveled between the first bounce and the third bounce is the first two terms.

Therefore the distance between the first bounce and the Mth bounce is adding all terms until (Mth-1)
Right?

But if the question just said ( find the total distance ?)
I think i have to add 27m to the final sum and replace (M-1) by (M)

1. What is an infinite series geometric series?

An infinite series geometric series is a sequence of terms that are multiplied together, where each term is a constant multiple of the previous term. This type of series is infinite because it continues on forever, with the terms getting smaller and smaller as the series goes on.

2. How do you find the sum of an infinite series geometric series?

To find the sum of an infinite series geometric series, you can use the formula S = a / (1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term of the series, and r is the common ratio between terms. This formula only works if the absolute value of r is less than 1.

3. What is the common ratio in an infinite series geometric series?

The common ratio in an infinite series geometric series is the constant multiple that is applied to each term to get the next term in the series. For example, in the series 1, 2, 4, 8, the common ratio is 2 because each term is twice the previous term.

4. How do you know if an infinite series geometric series converges or diverges?

An infinite series geometric series will converge if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1. If the absolute value of the common ratio is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge.

5. Can an infinite series geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, an infinite series geometric series can have a negative common ratio. This means that the terms in the series will alternate between positive and negative values. The series will still converge if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1.