Infinite space in a finite bubble, in a Tegmark Level 2 multiverse?

In summary, the idea of a multiverse is intriguing and has been dismissed as religion by some. However, Tegmark's hierarchy of the multiverse shows that an infinite Level 2 multiverse is possible. However, the concept of spatial infiniteness in the Level 2 multiverse is undefined and can only be discussed once a universe becomes dominated by radiation or matter.
DanielJ2021
TL;DR Summary
If our universe (in entirety, including all that lies beyond our observable universe), is spacially infinite[1], how can it exist alongside other infinitely large, and completely separate, universes in a Tegmark Lvl.2 multiverse (eternal inflation)?

[1]All evidence points to the universe being infinitely large, or so large that any curvature is potentially impossible to measure
So I am a layman in physics, I admit I am trying to grasp big ideas piecemeal via articles, wikipedia and YouTube. I don't pretend to be educated in this regard but I am curious and willing to learn!
The idea of the multiverse intrigues me. Sidestepping for a second the fact that the idea has been dismissed as basically religion for the fact that it is untestable for the time being, I just want to grasp the arguments around it.

Specifically for this thread my question is...in Tegmark's hierarchy of the multiverse, Level 2 represents the idea of eternal inflation breeding a multiverse. In this scenario a universe like ours might spawn randomly alongside an infinite number of others, each with different laws of physics. A universe like ours, and potentially all the rest, would be infinite in size. However, how can multiple infinitely-large universes co-exist in the multiverse? Where do they all fit?

Tegmark himself gives a clue but I would like clarity on this and up to date insight;
Surprisingly, it has been shown that inflation can produce an infinite Level I multiverse even in a bubble of finite spatial volume, thanks to an effect whereby the spatial directions of spacetime curve towards the (infinite) time direction (Bucher & Spergel 1999). (source attached)

Can someone talk me through this please? Thank you!

Attachments

• multiverse.pdf
    504.9 KB · Views: 187
Space news on Phys.org
Multiverse and infinite universe are purely speculative. If you want them both just add more spatial dimensions.

mathman said:
Multiverse and infinite universe are purely speculative. If you want them both just add more spatial dimensions.
This is what the OP is talking about:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/0712.0571.pdf

Likes Ibix
I thought I'd bump this thread a bit, as I'd love somebody to take a crack at answering the OP.

I've never learned how to read the inflationary space-time diagrams, including how to interpret infinite spatial extent of the bubbles within the larger inflationary landscape, or in what sense are the bubble universes colliding.

I think the closest, tangentially-related answer I've managed to coax out of somebody (Peter, was it?), was that in de Sitter universes (such as during the inflation) the concept of spatial (in)finiteness is undefined, and one can only begin to talk about the spatial extent once there universe becomes radiation or matter dominated and the space-time can be sliced in a preferred fashion. Though I might be misremembering it altogether.
But the X-shaped space-time diagrams do show 'something', right? And the overlapping light-cones of each bubble have some physical meaning, right? Can these be mapped to some heuristics or analogies?

The entire thing remains mysterious. Any takers?

1. What is the concept of infinite space in a finite bubble?

The concept of infinite space in a finite bubble refers to the idea that within our observable universe, there may be regions that appear to be infinite in size, but are actually contained within a finite boundary. This is based on the theory that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, and therefore, there may be regions that are too far away for us to ever observe.

2. How does this relate to the Tegmark Level 2 multiverse?

In the Tegmark Level 2 multiverse theory, our universe is just one of many bubble universes that exist in a larger, infinite multiverse. Each bubble universe has its own set of physical laws and constants, and the concept of infinite space in a finite bubble suggests that even within each bubble universe, there may be regions that appear infinite but are actually finite.

3. How is this concept supported by scientific evidence?

While there is no direct evidence for the concept of infinite space in a finite bubble, it is supported by the observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which shows a nearly uniform distribution of matter and energy across the universe. This suggests that the universe is homogeneous on a large scale, which is consistent with the idea of a finite bubble universe within a larger multiverse.

4. What implications does this concept have for our understanding of the universe?

The concept of infinite space in a finite bubble challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as being infinite and unbounded. It suggests that there may be regions of the universe that are beyond our reach, and that the universe may be much larger and more complex than we can currently comprehend.

5. Are there any potential practical applications of this concept?

While the concept of infinite space in a finite bubble may not have any immediate practical applications, it can help us to expand our thinking and understanding of the universe. It may also have implications for theories such as the anthropic principle, which suggests that the physical laws and constants of our universe are finely tuned for the existence of life.