Infinite Well with Schrodinger equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference between the general solution of ψ(x) = ASin(kx) + BCos(kx) and the simpler solution ψ(x) = e^i(kx) = Cos(kx) + iSin(kx). It is noted that A and B are complex numbers, and that A=i and B=1 is a special case of the general solution. The speaker expresses confusion about the complexity of the topic.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

I'm having a bit of trouble following my textbook, I was under the impression ψ(x) = e^i(kx) = Cos(kx) + iSin(kx) but in my textbook they write the general solution to this equation as ψ(x) = ASin(kx) + BCos(kx). How come they wrote the sin part as not imaginary? isn't this suppose to be a complex number? I know this example is like the most common example for introduction to quantum physics classes so I'm hoping somebody can give me some insight here

Physics news on Phys.org
A and B are complex numbers.
A=i and B=1 is a special case of the more general solution.

mfb said:
A and B are complex numbers.
A=i and B=1 is a special case of the more general solution.

A and B are BOTH complex numbers? oh geeez this stuff is more confusing than i thought!

1. What is an infinite well in the context of Schrodinger equation?

An infinite well is a theoretical potential energy barrier used in the Schrodinger equation to model the behavior of a particle in a confined space. It is characterized by an infinitely high potential energy at its boundaries, creating a "box" in which the particle can move freely.

2. How is the Schrodinger equation used to describe the behavior of a particle in an infinite well?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the time evolution of a quantum system, including particles in an infinite well. It takes into account the particle's potential energy, kinetic energy, and wave function to determine its probability of being in a certain location at a given time.

3. What are the solutions to the Schrodinger equation for an infinite well?

The solutions to the Schrodinger equation for an infinite well are standing waves, also known as eigenfunctions. These eigenfunctions have discrete energy levels, known as eigenvalues, which correspond to the allowed energy states of the particle in the well.

4. How does the width of the infinite well affect the energy levels of the particle?

The width of the infinite well directly affects the energy levels of the particle. As the width increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced. This is because a wider well allows for more possible standing waves and therefore more energy states for the particle to occupy.

5. Can the Schrodinger equation be used to describe particles in other potential energy barriers besides an infinite well?

Yes, the Schrodinger equation can be used to describe particles in a variety of potential energy barriers, not just an infinite well. It has been successfully applied to systems such as atoms, molecules, and even the entire universe.