Infinitesimal coordinate transformation of the metric

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a partial derivative and a coordinate transformation. The speaker provides a solution and discusses transposing terms and the use of indices. One participant suggests a correction to the indices labeling, emphasizing the importance of being careful with labeling to avoid confusion.
shinobi20
Homework Statement
The metric transforms as ##g'_{\mu\nu}(x') = \frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial x'^\mu} \frac{\partial x^\beta}{\partial x'^\nu} g_{\alpha\beta}(x)##. Show that under the infinitesimal transformation ##x^\alpha \rightarrow x'^\alpha = x^\alpha + \epsilon^\alpha## (##\epsilon^\alpha## is small), ##g'_{\mu\nu}(x^\mu + \epsilon^\mu) = g_{\mu\nu}(x) + (\partial_{\mu} \epsilon^\mu + \partial_{\nu} \epsilon^\nu) g_{\mu\nu}(x) = g_{\mu\nu}(x) + \partial_{\mu} \epsilon_\nu + \partial_{\nu} \epsilon_\mu##.
Relevant Equations
Already given above
I kinda know how to do this problem, it is just that I hit a sign problem. If I take the partial derivative of the coordinate transformation with respect to ##x'^\mu##, I get

writing it first in the inverse form, ##x^\alpha = x'^\alpha - \epsilon^\alpha##

##\frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial x'^\mu} = \delta^\alpha_\mu - \partial'_\mu \epsilon^\alpha = \delta^\alpha_\mu - \frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial x'^\mu} \partial_\alpha \epsilon^\alpha##

transposing terms,

##\frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial x'^\mu} (1 + \partial_\alpha \epsilon^\alpha) = \delta^\alpha_\mu##

##\frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial x'^\mu} \approx \delta^\alpha_\mu - \delta^\alpha_\mu \partial_\alpha \epsilon^\alpha \quad## (to first order)

Now this is going to give me a minus sign instead of a plus sign in the right hand side of the equation to be shown. Did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmm... I'm not sure, but maybe you're right and should be ##g'_{\mu\nu}=g_{\mu\nu}-\partial_\mu \varepsilon_\nu - \partial_\nu \varepsilon_\mu##.
But in any case, be very careful in how you label the indices, in more than one expression you give the same symbol to different indices, what can lead to errors or, at least, to confuse the people who are trying to read it.

1. What is an infinitesimal coordinate transformation of the metric?

An infinitesimal coordinate transformation of the metric is a mathematical concept used in the study of differential geometry and general relativity. It involves making small changes to the coordinates used to describe a space, while keeping the underlying structure of the space (represented by the metric) unchanged.

2. Why is infinitesimal coordinate transformation important?

Infinitesimal coordinate transformations are important because they allow us to study the properties of a space without changing its overall structure. This is particularly useful in general relativity, where the metric represents the curvature of spacetime and any changes to it can have significant physical implications.

3. How is the metric affected by infinitesimal coordinate transformations?

Infinitesimal coordinate transformations do not change the metric itself, but rather the way it is expressed in terms of coordinates. This can lead to changes in the components of the metric tensor, but the overall structure and properties of the metric remain the same.

4. Can infinitesimal coordinate transformations be used to describe curved spaces?

Yes, infinitesimal coordinate transformations are commonly used in the study of curved spaces, such as in general relativity. They allow us to describe the properties of a curved space without changing its overall curvature or topology.

5. Are there any limitations to using infinitesimal coordinate transformations?

While infinitesimal coordinate transformations are a powerful tool in mathematics and physics, they do have limitations. They are only applicable for small changes in coordinates and cannot be used to describe large or discontinuous transformations. Additionally, they may not be suitable for describing certain types of curved spaces, such as those with singularities.