Infinities and short distances in QFT

• Thread starter geoduck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Short
In summary: However, if a theory is renormalizable, then it may not diverge badly at high energy or short distances. In summary, infinities in QFT come from high momenta. I sometimes hear that is equivalent to coming from short distances, but I'm not sure I see the connection.
geoduck
Infinities in QFT come from high momenta. I sometimes hear that is equivalent to coming from short distances, but I'm not sure I see the connection.

The free propagator G(x-y) which I think goes like 1/|x-y|^2 is singular for short distances (when x=y). In momentum space G(x)= ∫d^4k exp[ikx] /(k^2+m^2). If x=0, then clearly ∫d^4k exp[0] /(k^2+m^2) diverges for large momenta k. However, if x is not equal to zero, then the expression is perfectly finite even when k is allowed to be really large in the integral. So it seems distance is even more important than momenta in determining the divergence of the free propagator.

Also, for a phi^4 theory it's true that the self-energy at one loop is G(z-z)=G(0) where z is the vertex coordinate that is integrated over. This leads to infinity. So you can say short distances leads to infinities.

However, for phi^3 theory, it is this term which leads to infinities: G(y-z)G(y-z) where y and z are the vertex coordinates that are integrated over. You have an infinity here that's caused by repetition of the Green's functions rather than y=z.

So for the phi^3 case, the infinities aren't caused by short distances between the vertices.

So are infinities really explained by short distances?

Physics news on Phys.org
high energy and short distance behaviour are same in meaning,not infinity.you can find theories which will behave badly in high energy limit.there will be infinities associated with it.they are said to be divergent at high energy or short distance.If a theory is renormalizable i.e. have coupling strength dimension as positive powers of mass(or zero) then they may not diverge badly at high energy behaviour or short distances.

geoduck said:
Infinities in QFT come from high momenta. I sometimes hear that is equivalent to coming from short distances, but I'm not sure I see the connection.

The free propagator G(x-y) which I think goes like 1/|x-y|^2 is singular for short distances (when x=y). In momentum space G(x)= ∫d^4k exp[ikx] /(k^2+m^2). If x=0, then clearly ∫d^4k exp[0] /(k^2+m^2) diverges for large momenta k. However, if x is not equal to zero, then the expression is perfectly finite even when k is allowed to be really large in the integral. So it seems distance is even more important than momenta in determining the divergence of the free propagator.

Your argument for the Green's function being finite for infinite momenta is still being formulated in position space though. Since 1/|x-y|^2 ~ ∫d^4k exp[ik(x-y)] /(k^2+m^2), your statement that both functions diverge when x=y are the same.

When one refers to loop corrections being infinite in a QFT before renormalization, one can do so either purely in position space or momentum space. Consider the one-loop self-energy correction in phi^3 theory. Using position-space Feynman rules, we have ∫d^4xd^4y G(x-y)G(x-y) being infinite in the region where x=y. Using momentum-space Feynman rules, we get ∫d^4k G(k)G(p+k) being infinite where k goes to infinity. These are the two equivalent statements that field theories give infinities for short distance/large momenta.

Likes 1 person

Related to Infinities and short distances in QFT

1. What is the concept of "infinities" in quantum field theory?

Infinities in quantum field theory refer to the occurrence of infinite values in calculations and equations, which can lead to inconsistencies and contradictions in the theory. These infinities arise due to the fact that quantum field theory considers particles and fields to be continuous and infinitely divisible, while in reality, they are discrete and have a finite size.

2. How are infinities dealt with in quantum field theory?

To address the issue of infinities, a process called renormalization is used in quantum field theory. This involves adjusting the parameters of the theory in a systematic way to cancel out the infinities and produce meaningful, finite results. Renormalization is a crucial tool in making accurate predictions and calculations in quantum field theory.

3. What is the significance of short distances in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, short distances refer to the distances between interacting particles or fields. These short distances can have a significant impact on the behavior and properties of particles, especially in high-energy interactions. Understanding and accounting for short distances is essential in accurately describing the behavior of particles in quantum field theory.

4. How does quantum field theory resolve the issue of short distances?

In quantum field theory, the concept of renormalization also helps to address the issue of short distances. By adjusting the parameters of the theory, renormalization allows for the cancellation of infinities that arise at short distances and produces meaningful, finite results. This allows for the accurate description of particle interactions at all distance scales.

5. Why is it important to consider both infinities and short distances in quantum field theory?

Infinities and short distances are both crucial considerations in quantum field theory because they directly impact the predictions and calculations made by the theory. Ignoring or neglecting these concepts can lead to incorrect or inconsistent results, making it essential to properly address and account for them in order to ensure the accuracy and validity of the theory.