Informal acceptance, but no word since

• Thread starter pantheid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceptance
In summary, the speaker applied for an REU a few weeks ago and followed up with the PI after not receiving a confirmation of receipt. The PI responded saying all materials had been received and mentioned a potential project. The speaker expressed interest in the project but has not heard back since. The speaker is unsure whether to wait or contact the PI again.
pantheid
Hi everyone, a few weeks ago I applied to an REU (late, I know, but they were still accepting applications). I sent in the online application, but never received an email of confirmation of receipt, so I contacted the PI to ask him if they got it. This was on friday of last week. On Sunday he got back to me saying that yes, all the materials had been received, and added on that they had a project available that I might like, and that he would ask the committee the next day about the status of open positions. I told him I would be willing to accept the position if it was available.

It sounded to me like he was pretty much ready to accept me, but I haven't gotten any word since. Should I just wait for them to get back to me, or should I pester him a little? I'm really not certain what to make of this situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Being pro-active and contacting them is always a good idea. Giving them 3-4 days extra time to react is OK, but when nothing happens, call and ask what the status is.

1. What does "informal acceptance, but no word since" mean?

"Informal acceptance, but no word since" means that someone has informally agreed to something, but no formal or official confirmation or communication has been received since then. This could indicate a lack of follow-up or delay in the process.

2. How common is it to receive an informal acceptance without any further communication?

It is not uncommon to receive an informal acceptance without any further communication. This can happen in situations where the process may take some time or if there are other factors involved that may delay the formal confirmation.

3. What should I do if I have received an informal acceptance but no word since then?

If you have received an informal acceptance but no word since then, it is best to follow up with the person or organization who provided the informal acceptance. This will help to clarify the situation and provide you with any updates or next steps.

4. Is there a time frame within which I can expect a formal confirmation after receiving an informal acceptance?

There is no set time frame within which you can expect a formal confirmation after receiving an informal acceptance. This can vary depending on the situation and the individuals or organizations involved. It is best to follow up for any updates or timelines.

5. What could be the reasons for receiving an informal acceptance but no word since then?

There could be various reasons for receiving an informal acceptance but no word since then. Some possible reasons could include a delay in the process, a change in circumstances, or a lack of follow-up. It is best to communicate directly with the person or organization for clarification.