Infrared Detection Range Up to 20m - TSOP38238 & TSAL 6100 LED

In summary: Actually i didnt want a double modulated signal, all i wanted to supply 200 mA to TSAL 6100 for less than 100us (as the data sheet of TSAL 6100 says, Forward current = 100mA and Absolute Maximum current = 200mA for Tp = 100us)...Tp is Pulse High...thats why i am using the second Lm555 for switching purpose.And C1 looks misplaced. Why would you snub your output so hard before amplification?This circuit uses a PNP transistor for Q3. The purpose of the PNP transistor is to make it easier to switch the output on and off. And C1 is there to protect the transistor from excessive current.To me,
nshaiman
Hi,
I made the following circuit for 38kHz infrared receiver TSOP38238 to increase the detection range above 10 meters. i was quite happy to see the range is more than 20 meters with TSAL 6100 LED. but i am facing a problem, my circuit works like a relay circuit. i have to wave my hand in front of receiver or transmitter so it can detect. Any help will be appreciated. thanks
upload_2017-4-10_9-47-22.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
nshaiman said:
Hi,
I made the following circuit for 38kHz infrared receiver TSOP38238 to increase the detection range above 10 meters. i was quite happy to see the range is more than 20 meters with TSAL 6100 LED. but i am facing a problem, my circuit works like a relay circuit. i have to wave my hand in front of receiver or transmitter so it can detect. Any help will be appreciated. thanks
View attachment 139827
Is Q1 your pick up device?
I cannot see anything marked TSOP38238 on your diagram.
Where is the output?
What do you want to happen when IR is detected?

tech99 said:
Is Q1 your pick up device?
I cannot see anything marked TSOP38238 on your diagram.
Where is the output?
What do you want to happen when IR is detected?
Thanks for replying...
Here is my receiving circuit
upload_2017-4-10_13-24-31.png

i want to build a self charging robot which can detect its charging station and makes it way to the charging station...
the receiver diagram showed above is just for understanding purpose. in real circuit i used LM324 comparator between Q3 and Arduino. LM324 comparator provides High or LOW to Arduino, and then Arduino operates LM293D. the main purpose is to detect signal and get to the Charging station. i have placed three TSOP38328 receiving circuitS on top of my robot, one for for turning left, one for right, and the middle one to drive robot straight. and my charging station is my TSAL 6100 LED transmitter.
Thanks again for taking interest.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-10_13-19-45.png
    upload_2017-4-10_13-19-45.png
    17 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
The way you have set up your LM555s is somewhat unusual. What was you thinking?
The TSOP38238 is designed to detect short bursts, not continuous trains of pulses.
You need to produce short bright bursts of 38kHz pulses rather than a continuous stream.

Baluncore said:
The TSOP38238 is designed to detect short bursts, not continuous trains of pulses.
You need to produce short bright bursts of 38kHz pulses rather than a continuous stream.
Ok let me explain, i made a circuit with only one Lm555cn, which did work but i didnt get a distance more than 3 meters. i added up a BC327 transistor on the out put of LM555 which increased the distance to 5.5 meters. in the distance of 5.5 meters my robot works fine.it detects the infrared signal and makes it direction accordingly. i wanted to increased the distance so i used another Lm555cn and double modulated the 38kHz frequency as can be seen in the first picture i uploaded, which increased the distance to 20 meters but with a problem that i have to move my hand between two circuits so they can detect.
thanks for taking interest.
Actually i didnt want a double modulated signal, all i wanted to supply 200 mA to TSAL 6100 for less than 100us (as the data sheet of TSAL 6100 says, Forward current = 100mA and Absolute Maximum current = 200mA for Tp = 100us)...Tp is Pulse High...thats why i am using the second Lm555 for switching purpose.
one thing more the circuit i made with only one Lm555 and Transistor BC327, i am providing 170mA to LED, but the range of distance didnt go more than 5.5 meters

Last edited:
nshaiman said:
Thanks for replying...
Here is my receiving circuit
View attachment 140075
i want to build a self charging robot which can detect its charging station and makes it way to the charging station...
the receiver diagram showed above is just for understanding purpose. in real circuit i used LM324 comparator between Q3 and Arduino. LM324 comparator provides High or LOW to Arduino, and then Arduino operates LM293D. the main purpose is to detect signal and get to the Charging station. i have placed three TSOP38328 receiving circuitS on top of my robot, one for for turning left, one for right, and the middle one to drive robot straight. and my charging station is my TSAL 6100 LED transmitter.
Thanks again for taking interest.
To me, Q3 looks backwards in this circuit, and I also don't know why you would use a PNP transistor for Q3...

And C1 looks misplaced. Why would you snub your output so hard before amplification?

Likes nshaiman
nshaiman said:
Ok let me explain, i made a circuit with only one Lm555cn, which did work but i didnt get a distance more than 3 meters. i added up a BC327 transistor on the out put of LM555 which increased the distance to 5.5 meters. in the distance of 5.5 meters my robot works fine.it detects the infrared signal and makes it direction accordingly. i wanted to increased the distance so i used another Lm555cn and double modulated the 38kHz frequency as can be seen in the first picture i uploaded, which increased the distance to 20 meters but with a problem that i have to move my hand between two circuits so they can detect.
thanks for taking interest.
Baluncore said:
berkeman said:
To me, Q3 looks backwards in this circuit, and I also don't know why you would use a PNP transistor for Q3...

And C1 looks misplaced. Why would you snub your output so hard before amplification?
TSOP 38238 is an Active Low device , that is the reason i am using a PNP transistor for Q3

nshaiman said:
TSOP 38238 is an Active Low device , that is the reason i am using a PNP transistor for Q3
I'm not sure that explains the choice, but whatever. What about the backwards (upside-down) configuration and the strange capacitor placement? Was this from some Application Note from the IR receiver module?

Likes nshaiman
berkeman said:
I'm not sure that explains the choice, but whatever. What about the backwards (upside-down) configuration and the strange capacitor placement? Was this from some Application Note from the IR receiver module?
yes this from TV IR receiver module which i found from following website.
https://circuitdigest.com/electronic-circuits/ir-transmitter-and-receiver-circuit
to be honest i just noticed the upside-down configuration..and my receiver circuit does work fine without C1...
thanks for highlighting the upside-down

Yeah, a BJT will work upside-down, but with reduced gain, generally. From the application description at the link, it looks like the capacitor was used to slow the response down (rectified sort-of) so that you get a signal that can drive the LED. They were not going for real RX speed in that circuit.

If you make the circuit over sensitive then it might pickup ir bouncing of walls etc making it hard for the receiver to work out where the signal is coming from. Bit like it being in a room full of mirrors?

Likes Douglas Sunday
Can you show us a schematic as your set up is now? The schematic you have in the OP is using the transistor in an unorthodox manner. You also say that the receiver circuit is actually something totally different than the posted schematic. Please show that as well.

BoB

Related to Infrared Detection Range Up to 20m - TSOP38238 & TSAL 6100 LED

1. What is infrared detection range and how does it work?

Infrared detection range refers to the maximum distance at which the TSOP38238 sensor can detect infrared light emitted from the TSAL 6100 LED. Infrared light is a type of electromagnetic radiation with a longer wavelength than visible light. The TSOP38238 sensor detects this light using a photodiode, which converts the light into an electric current. The sensor then amplifies and filters this current to produce a digital output signal.

2. What is the maximum range of the TSOP38238 sensor?

The TSOP38238 sensor has an infrared detection range of up to 20 meters, or approximately 65 feet. This range can vary depending on factors such as the strength of the infrared light source and any obstacles between the sensor and the light source.

3. Can the TSOP38238 sensor detect infrared light in all lighting conditions?

The TSOP38238 sensor is designed to detect infrared light in low-light or dark conditions. It is not affected by visible light, so it can operate in bright environments without interference. However, strong sources of infrared radiation, such as direct sunlight, can affect the sensor's performance.

4. What is the difference between the TSOP38238 and TSOP4838 sensors?

The TSOP38238 sensor is a receiver, while the TSOP4838 is a transmitter. This means that the TSOP38238 detects and receives infrared light, while the TSOP4838 emits and transmits infrared light. Both sensors have a detection range of up to 20 meters, but they serve different purposes in infrared communication systems.

5. What are the applications of the TSOP38238 sensor?

The TSOP38238 sensor is commonly used in remote control systems, security systems, and other applications that require the detection of infrared light. It can also be used in automatic lighting systems, motion sensors, and infrared communication systems. Its long detection range and reliable performance make it a versatile and useful sensor in various industries.