Infrared Remote Control Watch Used to Unlock Your Car?

In summary, the watch can be used to control your TV and cable box. It can also be used to turn up the volume on your stereo and stop videos in your class.
Alma
Hello,

I have purchased a Casio CMD-40B watch. It functions as a remote control for your TV and Cable boxes. How it works is, you look up the specific TV's "code", tell it to the watch, and your watch now acts as the TV's remote control.

Here is the Watch Manual
http://parsetext.com/0/files.nsf/0/b45a0d96b3011d82882577aa00713fa7/$FILE/qw1174.pdf

My question is, could this watch somehow be used to lock/unlock your car's doors using your cars electronic door popper frequency? Seems like a fun project.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
It looks like that watch is for infrared devices. Car door remotes use radio signals. So it won't work for that.

Hello. I used to have one of these and can confirm it did work on my friends car about 10-15 years ago. Using the learn function we successfully broke into my friends car one morning at collage.

I can't remember the type of car he had, and other cars (which used infrared) that we tried didn't work.

You need to be within about 3 meters of the original infrared beam to learn it. You can have loads fun changing the channel in pub's, bars and private residences as you walk past. Turning up the volume on stereo's in shops. And stopping the videos in your class.

The çodes it uses arn't limited to the manufacturer. So you may find the Sony (or other) code will work on different branded devices.

Those watches are great!

I hadn't realized they made infrared car door controls. Googling it seems to indicate a large majority of modern cars use radio, though.

fleem said:
I hadn't realized they made infrared car door controls. Googling it seems to indicate a large majority of modern cars use radio, though.

Yeah it was quite a while ago when we did it.
I don't really know, but i imagine radio is more secure as you can encrypt or modulate the signal (or something like that :confused:). Don't if that's possible with infrared. I wouldn't be surprised if all modern systems use radio.

What is an infrared remote control watch used to unlock your car?

An infrared remote control watch is a small device that uses infrared technology to communicate with your car's central locking system. It allows you to unlock or lock your car doors from a distance without using a traditional key.

How does an infrared remote control watch work?

The watch emits an infrared signal that is recognized by the car's central locking system. This signal is unique and is programmed to only work with your specific car. When the signal is received, the doors will unlock or lock accordingly.

Is an infrared remote control watch secure?

Yes, an infrared remote control watch is secure as the signal it emits is unique and cannot be easily replicated. Additionally, most watches have a rolling code feature which changes the signal each time it is used, making it even more secure.

Can I use an infrared remote control watch on any car?

No, an infrared remote control watch can only be used on cars that are equipped with a central locking system that is compatible with the watch's signal. It is important to check with the manufacturer or your car's manual to ensure compatibility.

What are the benefits of using an infrared remote control watch to unlock your car?

Using an infrared remote control watch can offer convenience and ease of use. It eliminates the need to fumble for keys or use a traditional remote, and it allows you to unlock your car from a distance, which can be helpful in bad weather or in busy parking lots. It also adds an extra layer of security to your car.