Initial acceleration problem: Two children on a frictionless floor

In summary, a girl and a boy of different masses sit on a frictionless floor holding a rope. The boy pulls on the rope, causing the girl to move towards him with an initial acceleration of 3ms^-2. Due to Newton's 3rd law, the boy will also experience an equal force but with a lower acceleration due to his higher mass, resulting in the girl moving towards him with an initial acceleration that is less than 3ms^-2.
Davidmb19

Homework Statement

A girl of the mass 30kg and a boy of the mass 45kg sit on a frictionless floor holding two ends of a rope. The boy pulls on the rope. The girl moves towards the boy with an initial acceleration of 3ms^-2.
The boy
A. Moves towards the girl with an initial greater acceleration greater than 3ms^-2.
B. Moves towards the girl with an initial acceleration than less 3ms^-2
C) Moves towards the girl with an initial acceleration of 3ms^-2
D) Remains stationary

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be D the answer is B. I thought this due real life experience; I didn't really think of the physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Point is you don't have real life experience with a frictionless floor. The closest you come is e.g. on ice.
An experience that would also come close: if both are on an inflated mattress in a pool or something. The physics of action = -reaction is always there; if you can't hold on to something (as is the case on a frictionless floor), then you'll accelerate too.

You should think of Physics of that ideal situation: the floor is frictionless. It is not in real life. But you have to solve the given problem.
If there is no friction, is there any external horizontal force? Without force, what is conserved?

Oh, BVU was faster...

ehild said:
You should think of Physics of that ideal situation: the floor is frictionless. It is not in real life. But you have to solve the given problem.
If there is no friction, is there any external horizontal force? Without force, what is conserved?

I understand. I didn't think of the momentum if that's what you're implying? Thanks

Davidmb19 said:
I didn't think of the momentum if that's what you're implying?

Yes, it is.

BvU said:
Point is you don't have real life experience with a frictionless floor. The closest you come is e.g. on ice.
An experience that would also come close: if both are on an inflated mattress in a pool or something. The physics of action = -reaction is always there; if you can't hold on to something (as is the case on a frictionless floor), then you'll accelerate too.
To elaborate on that, if instead you suppose some small coefficient of friction, same for each, then the boy, being heavier, can enjoy a greater frictional force. If the tension in the rope exceeds the girl's friction but not the boy's, only the girl will move.
Lots of questions say "frictionless floor", but in most cases you can read that as merely meaning very low friction and it doesn't significantly change the answer; here it does. So I regard the question as unhelpful in developing students' insight. Waterborne or free fall would have been better contexts.

Davidmb19 said:

Homework Statement

A girl of the mass 30kg and a boy of the mass 45kg sit on a frictionless floor holding two ends of a rope. The boy pulls on the rope. The girl moves towards the boy with an initial acceleration of 3ms^-2.
The boy
A. Moves towards the girl with an initial greater acceleration greater than 3ms^-2.
B. Moves towards the girl with an initial acceleration than less 3ms^-2
C) Moves towards the girl with an initial acceleration of 3ms^-2
D) Remains stationary

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be D the answer is B. I thought this due real life experience; I didn't really think of the physics.
According to Newton's 3rd law, the boy is experiencing the same force but the mass of the boy is more so acceleration will be less (a = F/m). That's why the option is B.

Rashid-47 said:
According to Newton's 3rd law, the boy is experiencing the same force but the mass of the boy is more so acceleration will be less (a = F/m). That's why the option is B.
Yes.

What is the initial acceleration problem?

The initial acceleration problem is a physics problem that involves two children standing on a frictionless floor. The problem asks for the initial acceleration of the two children when they push off each other simultaneously.

What is the significance of the frictionless floor in this problem?

The frictionless floor is significant because it eliminates the effects of friction, which is a force that opposes motion. This allows us to focus solely on the initial acceleration of the children without any other external factors.

Can the initial acceleration problem be solved using Newton's Laws of Motion?

Yes, the initial acceleration problem can be solved using Newton's Laws of Motion. Specifically, it can be solved using the second law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

What are the key variables in the initial acceleration problem?

The key variables in the initial acceleration problem are the masses of the two children, their initial velocities, and the net force applied to each child. These variables are necessary to determine the initial acceleration of the children.

How can the initial acceleration problem be applied in real-life situations?

The initial acceleration problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in sports or in the design of amusement park rides. Understanding the initial acceleration of objects can help in predicting their motion and ensuring safety measures are in place.