How do I find the velocity in this momentum conservation problem?

In summary, the question is asking for the distance the ox will move when a 60 kg farmer pulls a 300 kg ox towards him on a frictionless surface. The solution involves using the conservation of momentum principle, assuming the farmer and ox move slowly and bump into each other, and ignoring the concept of velocity.
Turhan

Homework Statement

A 60 kg farmer ropes a 300 kg ox. Both are initially at rest, 24 m apart on a frictionless level surface. When farmer ends up pulling the ox towards him, the ox will move

A) 4m, B) 5m, C) 12m, D) 20m, E) 24m .
Can anyone help me solve this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so in the momentum eq, how do I find out the velocity?

You can't find the magnitude of the velocity of either the farmer or the Ox.
But you don't need to.. You only need to find the ratio of the velocities.
Show us your attempt and we'll see where you're stuck.

Turhan said:

Homework Statement

A 60 kg farmer ropes a 300 kg ox. Both are initially at rest, 24 m apart on a frictionless level surface. When farmer ends up pulling the ox towards him, the ox will move

A) 4m, B) 5m, C) 12m, D) 20m, E) 24m .
Can anyone help me solve this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my opinion, this is one of these silly questions that makes no real sense. You have to know what practical elements the questioner intends you to ignore and what elements to focus on. Physics is supposed to model the real world, but an absurd question like this blatantly ignores the practical realities.

Anyway, you are supposed to concentrate on conservation of momentum. But, once something has momentum on a frictionless surface, it's not going to stop. So, you are supposed to assume that the farmer and ox move very slowly and bump into each other and stop. So, the question is asking how far the ox has moved when they bump into each other.

PeroK said:
In my opinion, this is one of these silly questions that makes no real sense. You have to know what practical elements the questioner intends you to ignore and what elements to focus on. Physics is supposed to model the real world, but an absurd question like this blatantly ignores the practical realities.

Anyway, you are supposed to concentrate on conservation of momentum. But, once something has momentum on a frictionless surface, it's not going to stop. So, you are supposed to assume that the farmer and ox move very slowly and bump into each other and stop. So, the question is asking how far the ox has moved when they bump into each other.
How am I supposed to find the velocity? This is question from a previous regional olympiad phase.

Turhan said:
How am I supposed to find the velocity? This is question from a previous regional olympiad phase.

The velocity is not relevant. That's one of the things you are supposed to know from reading the question.

PeroK said:
you are supposed to assume that the farmer and ox move very slowly
The speed does not matter for the answer, though I suspect it would matter to the farmer.

Turhan said:
How am I supposed to find the velocity
Write out the momentum conservation equation, and think of it as a differential equation.

Related to How do I find the velocity in this momentum conservation problem?

1. What is a frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface is a surface that has no resistance or friction when an object moves across it. This means that there is no force acting against the direction of motion, allowing objects to move smoothly and without slowing down.

2. How does a frictionless surface work?

A frictionless surface works by having an extremely smooth and flat surface, usually made of a low-friction material such as Teflon or ice. This eliminates any microscopic imperfections that could cause friction, allowing objects to slide across the surface with minimal resistance.

3. Is a frictionless surface possible in real life?

In theory, a frictionless surface is possible, but it is difficult to achieve in real life. Even surfaces that are considered to have low friction, such as ice or Teflon, still have some degree of friction. However, with advancements in technology and materials, scientists are constantly working towards creating surfaces with even lower friction.

4. What are the benefits of a frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface has many potential benefits, including reducing energy consumption in machinery and transportation, improving the efficiency of sports equipment, and reducing wear and tear on surfaces and objects that come into contact with each other.

5. Are there any drawbacks to a frictionless surface?

While a frictionless surface can have many benefits, there are also potential drawbacks. For example, in some situations, friction is necessary for stability and control. Additionally, a completely frictionless surface would also make it difficult for objects to stay in place, as they would continually slide and slip around.