Initial Mass Function approximated by the Salpeter function

E0/(α-2) * 0.08^(2-α)Therefore, the fraction of the mass of stars that are Type-II supernova progenitors is:(8^(2-α) - 0.08^(2-α)) / (8^(2-α) - 0.08^(2-α))3. To determine the fraction of the light from stars that are Type-II supernova progenitors, we need to integrate the IMF equation over the same mass range (8 to infinity), but this time multiplying by the luminosity, L, which is related to mass by the equation:L = E1M^αwhere E1 is a constant chosen to match the observed local
mrp
1. For stellar objects, M>0.08, then at the epoch of star formation: What fraction of stars are Type-II supernova progenitors (M>8)? What is the fraction of the mass of stars that are Type-II supernova progenitors (M>8)? What is the fraction of the light from stars that are Type-II supernova progenitors (M>8)?

2. Given Equations:
Salpeter Functiona.gif
for M>0.5;
Salpeter Functionb.gif
for 0.08<M<0.5;
Salpeter Functionc.gif
The constants (I'm using "E" to represent the greek letters in the given functions) E0 and and E1 are chosen to match the observed local density of stars and to be continuous across M=0.5.

3. I understand what the initial mass function is but I don't understand how to use the Salpeter approximation to answer these questions. I can't find any kind of example anywhere on the internet or in my book and I don't have to a clue where to start. A similar example or any kind of help would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem using the Salpeter approximation. The Salpeter initial mass function (IMF) is a mathematical representation of the distribution of stellar masses at the time of star formation. It is described by the equation:

ξ(M) = E0M^-α

where ξ(M) is the number of stars with mass between M and M+dM, and α is a constant typically ranging from 1.3 to 2.3. This equation can be used to answer the questions posed in the forum post.

1. To determine the fraction of stars that are Type-II supernova progenitors (M>8), we first need to integrate the IMF equation over the mass range of 8 to infinity:

∫8∞ E0M^-α dM

This integral can be solved using the power rule of integration, giving us:

E0/(α-1) * 8^(1-α)

To determine the fraction, we then divide this value by the total number of stars, which is given by the integral of the IMF over the entire mass range (0.08 to infinity):

∫0.08∞ E0M^-α dM

This integral can be solved in a similar manner, giving us:

E0/(α-1) * 0.08^(1-α)

Therefore, the fraction of stars that are Type-II supernova progenitors is:

(8^(1-α) - 0.08^(1-α)) / (8^(1-α) - 0.08^(1-α))

2. To determine the fraction of the mass of stars that are Type-II supernova progenitors, we need to integrate the IMF equation over the same mass range (8 to infinity), but this time multiplying by the mass, M:

∫8∞ E0M^-α * M dM

This integral can be solved using the power rule of integration, giving us:

E0/(α-2) * 8^(2-α)

To determine the fraction, we then divide this value by the total mass of all stars, which is given by the integral of the IMF multiplied by the mass over the entire mass range (0.08 to infinity):

∫0.08∞ E0M^-α * M dM

This integral can be solved in a similar manner, giving

Related to Initial Mass Function approximated by the Salpeter function

1. What is the Initial Mass Function (IMF)?

The IMF is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of initial masses of a population of stars. It determines the relative number of stars with different masses at the beginning of their formation.

2. What is the Salpeter function?

The Salpeter function is a power law distribution that is commonly used to approximate the IMF. It was first proposed by Edwin Salpeter in 1955 and is expressed as dN/dM ∝ M^-α, where N is the number of stars and M is the mass of the star.

3. How is the Salpeter function used to approximate the IMF?

The Salpeter function is multiplied by a normalization constant to fit the observed number of stars in a particular region. This normalization constant is known as the Salpeter slope α and is typically found to be between 2.3-2.7.

4. What are the limitations of using the Salpeter function to approximate the IMF?

One limitation is that the Salpeter function assumes a constant star formation rate, which may not always be the case in real populations. It also does not take into account the effects of environmental factors, such as the density of gas in a star-forming region.

5. Are there alternative functions that can be used to approximate the IMF?

Yes, there are several other functions that have been proposed to approximate the IMF, such as the Chabrier, Kroupa, and Scalo functions. Each of these functions has its own set of assumptions and limitations, and the choice of which one to use depends on the specific population of stars being studied.